Surge testing to take place in Bedford following a rise in cases of Indian Covid variant

Health secretary Matt Hancock said the town was the "next biggest cause of concern"

Tuesday, 18th May 2021, 10:41 am
Updated Tuesday, 18th May 2021, 10:44 am

Last night (May 17) Matt Hancock revealed there would be surge testing in the town following a sharp rise in Covid cases.

The health secretary said the town was the "next biggest cause of concern" after Bolton and Blackburn.

Yesterday Bedford Today revealed how the town recorded more than 70 cases over the weekend with a further 22 new cases yesterday - bringing the total of 13,917 now diagnosed with coronavirus.

Health secretary Matt Hancock said Bedford was the "next biggest cause of concern"

Matt Hancock told the House of Commons that most people in hospital in the areas which have had a spike in cases had been eligible for a vaccine but had chosen not to have it.

Last week, Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group (BLMK CCG), Bedford Hospital and Bedford Borough Council offered a limited supply of the Pfizer vaccines to teachers, parents and carers aged 30-39.

Vicky Head, director of public health at Bedford Borough Council said: "We have worked with the most affected schools and colleges and our NHS colleagues to put vaccines that would otherwise be wasted to good use. By vaccinating those aged 30-39 who work or have children at some educational settings, we are helping to reduce transmission in the borough.”

Vaccine appointments for people over 38 can be booked online or by calling 119.