Flitwick through to Heritage final but lose out in Shield

FLITWICK booked their place in the final of this season’s Heritage Cup with a 29-run win against Ampthill on Monday while just 24 hours later they lost by six wickets to Southill Park in the quarter-finals of the East Beds Senior Shield.

Wednesday, 20th June 2012, 2:46 pm

The Otters lost the toss and were asked to bat first at Woburn Road where they made 152-6 from their 14 overs, George Thurstance hitting 25 and Carl Ferguson 32 in a 58-run opening stand.

Third man Chamara De Zoysa (36) and Matt Hicks (23) added valuable contributions while Will Sneath claimed 3-43 overs and Danny Thompson 2-46.

In reply Ampthill reached 123-5 after Grant Mohle (34) and Matt Goss (29) had enjoyed a 54-run opening partnership while Flitwick’s Jason Twist took 3-44 and Hicks 2-32.

The Otters will now face either Blunham or Ickwell – who play their semi-final on Monday – in the Heritage final at The Hollow in Potton on Friday, July 6.

In the East Beds Senior Shield on Tuesday night, Flitwick were put in to bat after Southill won the toss and they immediately came under the cosh. Only Mahmood Khan (15) and Daniel Alder (11) made double figures as they stumbled to 78-9 from their 16 six-ball overs.

Southill bowlers were in top form as Shaid Ali took 3-17, young spinner George Darlow 3-19 and Kris Canagasabey 2-21.

In reply the Park reach a winning 80-4 with four overs to spare after opener Adam Giddings hit 28 and third man Andy Collins 16 with Twist taking 2-21 and Matt Pateman 1-20.

Southill will now face Eaton Socon in the second semi after the Cambridgeshire side edged out Blunham (84-5 off 16 overs) last week by seven wickets after reaching 85-3 off 12 overs.

The Shield’s first semi-final is set for next Wednesday (June 27) when Biggleswade will host Ampthill and, somewhat ironically, both sides are through to the last four thanks to conceded quarter-final ties.

Biggleswade had been re-instated after losing in the first round to Henlow who played an inelligible player. Now Caldecote have conceded which puts them straight into the last four.

In the other half of the Shield draw, Waresley refused to travel back to Ampthill after their original quarter-final date was postponed.

Waresley had made the 40-mile round trip but claimed they hadn’t been contacted about it being called off, so it left Ampthill a place in the semi-finals unopposed.