First half battering sees off Otley crew

editorial image

Ampthill secured a 41-10 win at home to Otley on Saturday, with the bonus point assured by the half time interval.

The third quarter was competitive but scoreless while the final 20 minutes saw five further tries scored including two for the visitors as the clubs met for the first time at 1st XV level.

Ampthill opened the scoring after the ball went loose inside Amps half, left wing Gareth Clarke fly hacked the ball, chased, fly hacked again and touched down underneath the posts despite the attentions of two defenders.

The next 20 minutes saw A’s on the back foot as often as not with Otley missing a e penalty opportunity after the hosts infringed at a breakdown.

On 25 minutes scrum half Gavin Williams found flanker Matthew Burke with a short pass for a crash ball try.

A trademark catch and drive from a 33rd minute lineout inside the Otley 22 saw open side Joseph Bercis touching down and on half time Tarrant scored a fine individual try leaving the score 22-0.

The third quarter saw the visitors mount a determined challenge.

Finally, on 63 minutes, A’s defence was breached when Otley’s openside flanker Matthew Heaton finished a fine move .

But any hope of a comeback was extinguished when the hosts responded with two trys in two minutes through Tarrant and right wing Darrell Dyer with Tarrant.

Otley continued to press, adding an unconverted try, but Tarrant had the last word however with another solo try on 80 minutes.

The missed conversion left his points tally at 21 to go in what was a man of the match performance.

Head coach Paul Turner said: “I was pleased with our first half, Otley’s set piece was strong but their open style behind the scrum caused us problems.

“Injury and enforced absentees saw a number of players get opportunities and they delivered.”

With just one defeat in the campaign so far Ampthill sit second in National II North, three points behind leaders Hull Ionians.

Amps head to Broadstreet in Coventry on Saturday.