The changing face of Luton

Examples of the rapidly changing face of Luton can be seen all over the town, but this week’s Yesteryear pictures show that at least one street hasn’t altered too much over recent decades.

The photo top left is of the view along Waldeck Road in Bury Park, taken from its junction with Bury Park Road.

A Luton News cameraman was sent there after the road was closed while the railway bridge over it was reconstructed in October 1964.

Do readers remember the two shops on the left, one of which is R. Warwick’s?

The colour photo bottom left was taken from the same spot this week.

The photo top right was captured in September 1953, looking down Waldeck Road from the other side of the bridge.

When the bridge was replaced 11 years later, the road was widened to allow two lanes of traffic.

The two billboard advertisements on either side of the bridge, for Surf washing powder and Gold Flake tobacco, will be familiar to readers of a certain age.

This week’s view from the same place, bottom right, shows that the houses on the right are similar in appearance to nearly 60 years ago.