They would never get away with it now, but back in December 1950, when the main photo was taken, butchers would traditionally hang their meat on hooks outside their shops.
The picture shows customers in front of W.G.Durrant’s in Manchester Street, Luton, choosing poultry destined for their dinner table on Christmas Day.
William George Durrant opened his first shop in High Town in 1910 and that early venture increased to five shops by the time he died, aged 76, in 1957.
Setchell feels Bedford Town deserved their opening point at Stratford
Clubs all set for big kick-off as Bedford Town, Ampthill Town and Real Bedford begin campaigns
Bedford high jumper Gracie takes silver in Belfast
Al Boum Photo joins an illustrious list of back-to-back Gold Cup winners
Hatters desperate to right last season's wrongs against Blues
Mr Durrant, who lived in London Road, Luton, was president of the Luton and District Retail Butchers’ Association for many years. He was a Rotarian and Freemason and served on the Luton Food Control Committee during the Second World War.
Following his death, the Luton News reported that his two sons would carry on the business. Can readers recall when the shops closed for good?
And do you remember the Norvic shoe store next door to Durrant’s and the chemists on the other side?
Also long gone is the Crown and Anchor pub, which is clearly visible in the background on the corner of New Bedford Road and Bridge Street and is also pictured above.
The pub was built some time between 1828 and 1843.
It closed in 1975 and was later demolished and the Galaxy leisure complex now stands on the site.