Tyler slams refereeing in the Conference

HATTERS keeper Mark Tyler has blasted the standard of refereeing in the Blue Square Bet Premier after Town had their fourth player sent off in just three games at Darlington on Tuesday night, writes Mike Simmonds.

Thursday, 15th March 2012, 10:30 am

Centre-half Janos Kovacs joined John Paul Kissock, Keith Keane and Jake Howells in taking an early bath during recent matches after hauling back Ryan Bowman late on.

The Hungarian was adjudged the last man by official Richard Wigglesworth, but the decision was all the more ridiculous with full-back Ed Asafu-Adjaye quite blatantly in a covering position.

Tyler said: “The quality of the refereeing in this league, it’s the same in League Two, all you want is consistency.

“Everyone would be happy, but some of the decisions...

“I thought he (Wigglesworth) had done well until the last 10 minutes and then he lost control, but if I say too many words I’ll be in trouble.

“It was frustrating as I thought we dominated the game, but the referee was trying to give them the game I think.

“I want to be successful, but with this league I’m not holding any hopes to be honest.”

The lack of consistency was blindingly obvious for all to see, as midfielder Godfrey Poku picked up an early yellow card, but avoided red despite giving away two late penalties.

While Quakers’ Neil Wainwright also went into the book for a terrible lunge on Adam Watkins in the first half, but unlike Keane at the weekend, saw his late scythe on Poku in the second half go unpunished.

Tyler continued: “The first one on Adam is nasty, and (Moses) Ashikodi on Charlie (Henry, at the weekend), was a disgusting tackle, while Keano goes in with innocuous challenges and gets sent off.

“Godfrey should be sent off if it’s down to the laws of the game when he’s committed two fouls in the box and he’s already on a yellow.

“The first penalty he knows Godfrey is behind him and the second one Godders has just used his strength, made a fair tackle and he’s pointed to the spot for no reason.

“The geezer’s fallen over and we’ve all thought it was a free-kick to us, that’s why we’ve rushed out to get the ball.

“Then he said it was a penalty so what can you do?

“That’s the consistency we’re asking for. Hopefully we’ll get a strong ref on Saturday and throughout the rest of the campaign.”

Manager Gary Brabin was of the same opinion as his keeper as he added: “Honestly, for the life of me, I can’t understand what goes on.

“We speak to the fourth official but they have no effect on the game and they agree with you.

“If you’re a footballing team it’s human nature as a referee to let the game flow for the first half an hour, but teams who play against us want to kick us and upset the game in that first half an hour.

“Things get let go, but then by the time we want to defend ourselves, we get bookings.

“It’s disappointing but something that we can’t control.”

For all the latest Luton Town FC news, reports, stats, player profiles, live match updates, prediction table and a complete fixture list, visit our Hatters Microsite.