Luton Town’s U18s fightback to claim Milton Keynes Dons draw

Youth Alliance Cup: Luton Town Youth 2 Milton Keynes Dons Youth 2

By The Newsroom
Monday, 7th October 2013, 3:00 pm
L13-1187   5/10/13   MBLN
U18's football, LTFC v MK Dons.
wk41 MW JX
L13-1187 5/10/13 MBLN U18's football, LTFC v MK Dons. wk41 MW JX

Luton Town’s U18s fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 against local rivals Milton Keynes Dons Youth in the Youth Alliance Cup.

Boss Paul Driver was pleased with his side’s endeavour at Ely Way in their second game in the competition.

Driver said: “It’s great that we have showed the tenacity to fight back from being two goals behind and could have sneaked it at the end.

“On the downside, the defending today was at times poor and that is a worry as we haven’t learnt from the focus of the training this week.”

Zane Banton returned to Town’s attack with Daril Ngwala reverting to the wide midfield role he had occupied in earlier matches.

The first real chance of the game fell to the visitors on 13 minutes when Galloway burst into the box and rounded Craig King, but Lee Hawkes got back on the line to block his shot.

Luton hit back with three attempts in the next 10 minutes as shots from Jemale McKenzie-Lowe and Charlie Smith went just wide, while MK keeper Burns produced a smart tip over the bar to deny Banton.

But it was the visitors who struck first when Rasulo found himself in space and fired in off the post on 28 minutes.

And the same player nearly doubled the lead on the half-hour, but King produced a smart block to deny him.

The Dons doubled their lead four minutes after the restart with a run and strike from 10 yards.

This seemed to spark the Hatters into life and they halved the deficit in the 59th minute when Smith’s cross was headed home by Ngwala.

Further chances were created by Ian Rees, Arel Amu and Banton in the next five minutes, but none were able to draw the Hatters level.

The visitors hit the bar on 65 minutes and King saved well from a counter-attack four minutes later before Town levelled with 10 minutes to go.

A quickly-taken corner was played to Smith and his cross found Banton who wriggled clear to beat Burns from close range.

Both teams had chances of securing all three points as Burns tipped Smith excellent 20-yard shot over the bar as both teams had to settle for a point.

Hatters: King, Crilley (Galliford 63), Hawkes, Rees, Chabata, Tamplin, Amu, Smith (C), McKenzie-Lowe, Banton, Ngwala. Substitutes not used: Barnes, Allman, Amadi, Tayali.