Buckle distances himself from players following Town exit
Since saying his goodbyes to his former charges ex-Town boss Paul Buckle has distanced himself from events at Kenilworth Road, writes Mark Wood.
Buckle exclusively revealed in the News/Gazette he had left Kenilworth Road to accompany partner Rebecca Lowe to the USA where she will head up NBC’s Premier League coverage.
While he will ‘always be involved with Luton Town’ he hasn’t spoken to the players since his departure as he said: “I went in on the Wednesday after the Macclesfield game and I said goodbye to every single player and the staff and thanked them for all of their efforts in the 10 months.
“I’ve had time to reflect and I wouldn’t swap it for the world being in charge at the club.”
Football had always come first for Buckle, but he admitted it couldn’t once Lowe landed such a fantastic role.
“You put it first, especially when you are trying to be promoted,” he said.
“You are going somewhere to try and get a team promoted and there’s no way you can combine the two. You need to be settled with your full mind on the game.
“Above all else I was fully committed to Luton Town and every other job I’ve done. I just felt I wouldn’t be able to give my full commitment to the job and everything around the move. Luton were fantastic with this.
“I’ve lived in England all my life. I’ve never known what’s involved logistically with a move to America. It’s not like a job offer down the road, it’s on on the other side of the Atlantic.”
Buckle revealed that beating Wrexham to reach last season’s play-off final and Town’s fantastic run to the fifth round of the FA Cup had been his best moments, and it was during that he had broken the news to Luton’s board.
“The highlights were winning the semi and the cup run, while losing out in the final was such a disappointment,” he said.
“I was at the beginning of games really in terms of the length I had been at the club.
“When I first came to the club we were trying to get into those play-offs.
“We just missed out which was a great disappointment. I still look back at the goal and analyse how we lost. It was just the run the club had been on.
“I shared it (my decision) with Luton during the cup run, I was really transparent. That run finished and we felt the timing was right to move on.
“Leaving in the summer, there’s so much to sort out when you are making such a massive move.
“It’s huge. The second Rebecca came on the phone her words were ‘are you sitting’.
“I think that shows you the magnitude of the offer and what’s involved.
“It’s a fantastic offer for Bex and I know how hard she works at her job. As a couple we had a decision to make. In the end it’s right for her, it’s something she wants to do and ultimately then also us and my career.”
Buckle also admitted that Town’s FA Cup run ultimately impacted on the club’s league form and that Town were the only club he would have dropped into non-league to take charge of.
For more, see the Luton News/Dunstable Gazette on sale now, while for all the latest Luton Town FC news, reports, stats, player profiles, live match updates, MOM vote, prediction table and a complete fixture list, visit our Hatters Microsite.