Lawson Park fly the flag in county cup

LAWSON Park Rangers battled their way to the final of the Beds FA Sunday Cup after defeating Leighton Buzzard side Rumours 3-1 in the semi-final at Jubilee Park. Mark Reed opened the scoring on two minutes but it remained 1-0 at the break while Aron Izzard added a second before Charlie Betts coolly bagged the third before Rumours snatched a consolation.

Thursday, 17th February 2011, 12:32 pm

At the Carlsberg Stadium’s newly-opened second pitch, New Inn Biggleswade (pictured right) narrowly failed to reach the Beds FA Sunday Junior Cup after losing 2-1 in the semi-finals to ten man Bury Park Saracens. It was a disappointing show by the Inn in windy conditions despite going ahead through David Daniels. Bury Park drew level from a disputed penalty and snatched thew winner 12 minutes from time with a deflected shot.

Kempston Sunday have kept their double hopes alive after beating Bumble Bee Flitwick 3-1 in the last eight of the Brian Craddock Jubilee Cup.

There were only two games played in the Premier Division. Esquires beat struggling Dunton 3-1 whilst Haynes had an emphatic 6-1 victory at home to Caldecote Young Boys.

It was back to the bread and butter league games for Meltis Mexicans and Constant & Co Athletic in Division One. Meltis beat Newtown Rangers 3-1 while Constant & Co overcame Old Hastingsburians by the same scoreline.

London Road Supreme Reserves picked up two more points in beating Bird in Hand at Mowsbury Park, and Kempston Hammers defeated Stewartby 4-0.

Eagle Heating are still setting the pace in Division Two with a 3-2 home win against Marston Reds. Harrold & Carlton top scored with seven against Drager United with Johnny Devereux grabbing a hat-trick. Drager contributed an own goal while 16-year-old Tristan Clark was Harrold’s man of the match.

Sharks picked up two good points away to Crown Flitwick. Wootton Wanderers were the other winners in this division with a 3-2 win at Cranfield.

Renhold will not be feeling too confident of taking the title after being beaten by close rivals Caldecote Young Boys Reserves 3-0 at Harvey Close. The Third Division is warming up with the chasing pack closing in.

Bedford Allsters hit eight at Salento in a ten goal game and Flitwick Eagles followed suit in their nine goal game at home to Black Tom Rangers. Wells Stars took two points off Dunton Reserves to ease away from their lowly position.

Gardeners Arms are sprinting towards the title in Division Four. They kept pace at the top by beating close rivals Clapham Sunday 3-0. Moor Lane Meltis are still hanging in there with a 4-3 three home win against Embankment, but Bedford Panthers slipped up again losing 4-3 to near neighbours BMC.

Rose Biggleswade lost ground by only drawing 1-1 with Bellini’s while and Grafton Celtics beat Bedford Albion 3-1 to show their close interest in a piece of the action at the top of the division.

Grafton’s win was ‘comfortable’ although they squandered a host of good chances to improve their goal tally. However, Albion scored two own goals to help Grafton out leaving the only Celtic scorer, Sean Malone, to celebrate his first ever goal for the team.

There were some interesting results in Division Five, with high flying Shillington Pirates losing 2-1 at Sandy Badgers.

Bedford Cupids came a cropper after a run of good results when they lost 4-3 at Santaniello’s while leaders Goldington Rangers lost 5-3 to GNG Tigers.

AC Atletico and Fox & Hounds Clapham drew two apiece, but the one game that was not a surprise was another defeat for Kempston Wanderers.

This one ended 10-1 to Harrold & Carlton Reserves, who made it a stunning day for both H & C teams. Alan Cooper scored a double hat-tric while man of the match Rob Hartwell could only manage a treble. Alan Sturgess supplied the other.

This weekend action is completely devoted to league matches. Clive Milton