Kempston Rovers make dream start to season

Kempston Rovers have made a sensational start to life in the Southern League Division One Central with two wins in their opening games.
Kempston v Aylesbury. Picture: June Essex.Kempston v Aylesbury. Picture: June Essex.
Kempston v Aylesbury. Picture: June Essex.

Victory in their historic first match at this level at home on Saturday was followed by success at Bedfordshire neighbours Arlesey Town on Tuesday night.

Saturday was a proud day for all concerned at Kempston Rovers, and 150 supporters turned out at Hillgrounds to watch a well-deserved Rovers win.

Rovers started very well with a high tempo that was too much for visitors Aylesbury with chance after chance being created but none were taken.

A good piece of play resulted in Ashley Fuller being set free on the edge of the box, he took touches and fired a great finish into the top cornerfor a well deserved lead.

The Walnut Boys restricted Aylesbury to one shot in the first period should have gone in three or four up which was the only negative.

The second half started off the same, Aylesbury came into the game more and more in the second half and scored a good equaliser through Aaron Couch on 50 minutes.

However in the last 10-15 minutes Rovers grabbed back the initiative and were the better side, building pressure and forcing Aylesbury back into their own box.

A Josh Winters run and shot resulted in a Aylesbury player blocking the goalbound shot in injury time.

A penalty was awarded and up stepped Fuller to make it 2-1 and ensure all three points went to Rovers.

For Tuesday’s derby at Arlesey Rovers made three changes, bringing in Sam Johnson, Josh Winters and Seb Simpson who all made a positive impact on Saturday.

Rovers started the game on fire and produced arguably their best 30 minutes of football for a long time.

The keeper home keeper pulled off save after save with Rovers not taking the chances created.

The front four were too much for Arlesey and with Macca and Simpson running the midfield the only thing that was missing was the finish, as the first half ended goalless.

Kempston paid the price for those misses early in the second period when Arlesey took the lead with a tidy finish from Jack Vasey.

But just three minutes later Rovers equalised, Fuller picking up the ball centrally and letting go a 25 yard screamer into the top corner.

With the scores level Rovers showed their level of fitness and desire, and a well worked move down the right resulted in a fantastic header into the top corner by Simpson to put them in front.

Three changes were made, Fields and Masala made positive impacts and had chances to score while Tom Guiney reinforced the defence.

After this excellent start Rovers face a tough game at Beaconsfield on Saturday and then look forward to welcoming closest rivals Bedford Town for the big derby on Tuesday night.