Ickwell hammer nine in county cup tie

THE result of the day in the second round of the Beds FA Intermediate Cup belonged to Kings AFC who ran out 1-0 home winners over Surburban League North Division leaders Barton Rovers Reserves, Andy Mayes netting the only goal.

Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 11:09 am

Not far behind would be Bedford Sports Athletic. At half time they were trailing AFC Kempston Town Reserves 1-0 before second half strikes from Ashley Mead and James Mead saw them emerge 2-1 home winners.

However top scorers on the day were Ickwell & Old Warden. They thrashed Aylesbury League club FC Spandits 9-1. Lee Threadgold netting five times and Zac Rowe twice alongside single strikes from Danny Fox and Paul Beith.

And not far behind them were FC Meppershall. For them it was a 7-1 victory at Luton District & South Beds League Ewe & Lamb as Joe Price was on target four times, James Field twice and Craig Damon once.

The fifth Bedfordshire County Football League side in the hat for the third round draw are Caldecote Reserves. They won 4-1 at home over Meltis Albion with a hat-trick from Jack Gabbitas and a single from Matt Basta, the reply from Albion’s Lewis Prince.

For Sandy there was the heartache of a penalty shoot-out defeat at Christian in Sports after a 120 minutes of play had seen the sides deadlocked at three goals apiece. Mark Jennings (two) and Phill Beall were the Sandy goalscorers.

Elsewhere five other County League sides joined Sandy in exiting the competition. Westoning, despite an own goal and a strike from Chris Phelen, were beaten 3-2 at Real FNE while Marston Shelton Rovers had an Antony Henman goal to show for a 2-1 defeat at Farley Boys.

There were also home defeats for Lidlington United Sports, 3-0 against Kent Athletic Reserves and Henlow by the same scoreline at home to Stotfold Reserves. And alas for the fifth club Luton Boys, it was a failure to raise a side to travel and face Langford Reserves at Forde Park.

Premier Division

CALDECOTE remain with a 100 per cent home record and still unbeaten this season after running out 4-1 winners over Dunton on Saturday.

The result also stretched their lead at the head of the Premier Division to four points thanks to a Mark Phillips brace and others from Kai Griffiths-Shilton and Tom Cookman, Nicky Threadgold replying for the Dunton.

Second-placed Oakley Sports dropped two home points when held to a 1-1 draw by AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College, Jamie Endersby on the mark for the Sportsman and Alex Russell for the visitors.

Just two points behind and holding down third spot are Shefford Town & Campton who ran out 5-1 victors at Woburn. Gary Ansell-Carter shot them ahead in the 32nd minute while Daniel McClaren levelled two minutes later. But second half strikes from Ansell-Carter, Adam Larsen and a brace from Andy Hayday won the day for the visitors.

Elsewhere Blunham retained their seasons 100 per cent home record to move up to fourth with a 3-1 victory over Sharnbrook. Andy Smith bagged a first half hat-trick to do the damage before Dan Glos struck back for the visitors ten minutes from time.

Still rooted to the bottom of the table are Renhold United following a 4-2 home defeat by Wilshamstead. Kevin Butler netted a hat-trick and Michael Taylor netted the other for the visitors against home replies from Alex Woolston and Sheldon Washington.

For Bedford Hatters it was a retention of their season’s unbeaten away record with a 4-1 victory at Flitwick Town. Richard Cook was on target twice alongside Darren Allen and Ashley Deverall, whilst Town (who have now failed to win in their last six outings) replied through Dean Warren.

Division One

THE lone league game in Division One saw both Lea Sports PSG and AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College Reserves fail to come up with their first wins of the season as they played out a 3-3 draw. Daniel Hardacre netting all three PSG goals against replies from Tom Marvin (two) and Richard Lightfoot.

Division Two

WITH AFC Turvey sitting the afternoon out, Elstow Abbey took full advantage to climb above them on goal-difference to the top Division Three. They enjoyed a 6-1 home win over Clifton. Ed E’rario netted the only goal of the opening half on 20 minutes to give them the lead while he doubled it seven minutes into the second period.

Tony Norman with a strike 20 minutes from time reduced the arrears to a single goal to give the visitors hope but that lasted just 60 seconds before Dave McCarthy restored the Abbey’s two-goal advantage. And after McCarthy had added a fourth six minutes from time, Glen Tumulty and Harry Ellis both netted to complete the rout.

Slipping further behind the top two now are third placed Pavenham. They lost their season’s 100 per cent away record when beaten 2-1 at Shefford Town & Campton Reserves. Jordan Robbens and Eddie Kemp were on the home scoresheet against a reply from Tom Ellis.

At the other end of the table, basement club Great Barford are still looking for their first win of the season after losing 1-0 at home to M&DH Oakley. Adam Emms netted the goal to take the visitors to their fourth win on the bounce and up to sixth place in the standings.

Fifth are Potton United Reserves who made it three home wins on the bounce with a 5-2 victory over Stopsley Park. All the goals came in the second half with Dan St Ledger, Amit Aghera, Kieran Dempsey, Luke Sharpels and Sam Chester all netting for Potton against replies from Gavin O’Brien and Jack O’Shea. It also means the Park are now without a win in their last six outings.

Winning for the third time on the bounce were Queens Park Crescents when goals from Zoheb Nadeem and Jatinder Bhangle took them to a 2-0 home win over Marabese Ceramics.

However Bromham United, after two straight away defeats, returned to form with a 2-1 victory at Sundon Park Rangers thanks to a Dave Baxter double against a Rangers’ own goal reply.

Division Three

THERE is no change in Division Three after the leading four came up with victories. For leaders Goldington it was an 8-3 home win over bottom of the table Flitwick Town Reserves thanks to a Chris Huckle hat-trick, James Morris and Kane Alexander with braces plus a goal from Jordan Kumar, the Flitwick replies from Grant Archer and once by Oliver Whiteside.

For second place Stevington things were much tougher before they secured the maximum points and their fifth win on the bounce, 2-1 at Westoning Reserves. Ben Walsh netted both goals against a home reply from Sean O’Donnell.

Meanwhile third placed Renhold Village ended Riseley Sports’ unbeaten ways for the season with a 4-3 win at Gold Street. Carl Townsend, Simon Wade, Dan Luke and Marko Tubdzic were the Village marksmen against home replies from Tom Ellison (two) and Pete Bass.

Still fourth are Cranfield United Reserves thanks to an own goal and a strike from Dan Cockerton as they won for the fourth time on the bounce, 2-1 at Wilshamstead Reserves for whom Matt Johnson replied.

Eastcotts AFC are now up to fifth after emerging 6-1 away winners at second from bottom Dunton Reserves. Michael Sexton hit two while Courtney Broughton, Kaylan Wilson, Shane Wilson and Gibran Pirbhai all scored singles, the home reply from Laurence Bosher.

Climbing to sixth place are Kempston Hammers Sports after James Grandidge (two) plus an own goal took them to a 3-2 win and their third at home on the bounce, against Potton Town whose replies came from Shane Clark and Matt Drew.

Elsewhere there was a first home win of the season for Royal Oak Kempston. They enjoyed a 2-1 victory over Sundon Park Rangers Colts thanks to Liam Boland and Lorenzo Jordan, the Sundon reply from Chris Scott.

Division Four

IT was business as usual for Division Four leaders Bedford Park Rangers as they retained their season’s unbeaten ways with a 5-0 home win over yet to win and second from bottom of the table Dunton ‘A’. Josh Geary netting twice alongside single strikes from Stephen Walsh, Jhey Tompkins and Jordan Wright.

Meanwhile second placed Marsh Leys were also maintaining their 100 per cent ways on the road with a 5-2 victory at previously unbeaten Clifton Reserves. Alex Clipston and Jamie Carson both netting twice and Matt Evans once against home replies from Mason Bambridge (two).

Slipping from third to fifth were Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves. They were held in a 1-1 draw at the ever-improving Wootton Village. Lewis Atkin was on target for Village against a reply from Matthew McCartney.

Third slot now belongs to Thurleigh after goals from Ben Stock, Steve Pledge and Stefan Wilson took them to a 3-0 home win over Goldington Hammers who suffered a fourth consecutive away defeat.

Up to fourth are Stewartby Village who remain unbeaten on the road. They won 4-1 at Sandy Reserves after Sam Scutchings netted two along with singles for both Lee Collis and Michael Darnell, the home reply from Antony Roberts.

At the other end of the table, Dinamo Flitwick are still in search of their first win after losing 4-3 on home soil against Shefford Town & Campton ‘A’. Sam Larsen (two), Dan Culleton and Scott Dora were on target for Town against replies from Scott Hannam, Barrie-Lee Hannam and Dale Goldie.

Elsewhere Bedford Panthers were also waiting for their first win of the season and on Saturday it finally arrived after a lone Michael Bailey strike gave them a 1-0 victory at Kempston Athletic who were previously unbeaten at home.