Five-star Eagles finally record opening day win

First for sports news
First for sports news
Share this article

Beaconsfield SYCOB 3 Bedford Town 5

Bedford Town recovered from an awful start to their new campaign in Southern League Division One Central to notch a first opening day victory in 14 years at Beaconsfield on Saturday.

Not since 2000 have Bedford taken three points from their curtain ­raiser, and that run looked set to continue when the hosts raced into a 2­-0 lead after just 11 minutes.

But rather than deflating Bedford, the deficit sparked them into life, and goals from Jeff Woodward, the Beaconsfield defence and Simon King gave the Eagles an unlikely half­ time lead.

With 20 minutes to go Ollie Jones restored parity for Beaconsfield, but Ashley Kelynack’s attempted clearance managed to loop over his own goalkeeper to restore Bedford’s advantage.

The Eagles rounded off their win with a move started and finished by Russell Bull in stoppage time.

Beconsfield started stronger, and only Lee Crockett prevented Tom Willment from putting them ahead from a free ­kick.

They went one better in the ninth minute when a clearance from a Bedford corner in the ninth minute ended up the feet of Omari Patrick, and the forward cut inside before firing past Crockett.

The lead was doubled two minutes later, as Bedford were punished by Aaron Berry for failing to clear a free­ kick.

The Bedford faithful would have been forgiven for thinking another opening day nightmare was coming their way, but their team produced an incredible comeback.

On the 15 minute mark, Josh Winters nodded a corner into a dangerous area, and Woodward reacted quickest to pull one back.

Crockett needed to be alert to deny Partick a second goal, before Beaconsfield scored their first of two own goals to level the match; Tom Willment the unfortunate defender.

Then, just minutes before the break, Bedford completed their comeback in spectacular fashion, thanks to a 20 ­yard strike from King.

The second half was a more cagey affair, and it was Beaconsfield who struck first when Jones smashed the ball through a crowded penalty area to level the match once more.

With just five minutes left on the clock, Beconsfield gifted the Eagles victory, as Kelynack sliced a clearance back over his own head and his goalkeeper and into the net.

Bedford were not about to let this lead slip, and made sure of the points in stoppage time when King and Tom Rawlings combined to set up Bull, who swept home.

Rams: Samuel Bunting, George Berkes, Jordan Chandler (Damon Orfally 79), Jed De Souza (William Harris 85), Tom Willment [c](Ashley Kelynack 51), Alex Murray, Tom Grant, Elliott Carey, Aaron Berry, Omari Patrick, Ollie Jones.

Subs not used: George Dawson-Clark, Njie Ousman.

Eagles: Lee Crockett, Tom Glasscoe, Jordan Jarrold (Simon King 39), Neil King, Jeff Woodward, Paul Cooper, Josh Winters (c), Sam Macrae (Tom Rawlings 79), Tom Liversedge (Russell Bull 62), Aaron King, Joe Hopewell.

Sub not used: Rob Parker.

Referee: Tom Ratherham.

Assistants: Christopher Reid & Neo Neophytou.

Attendance: 108.