Eagles battle back against Beaconsfield to end the season with a draw

First for sports news
First for sports news

Bedford Town signed off the season with an entertaining 2-2 draw at Beaconsfield SYCOB on Saturday afternoon.

The home side, on the back of two midweek victories, went on the attack from the start, in a bid to secure a hat-trick of wins at the end of the season.

In the fourth minute, Enol Ordonez Suarez was forced into batting away a swirling shot from Sam Deadfield.

A Bedford attack just after the 10 minute mark caused a bit of panic in the Beaconsfield defence, as the ball rebounded off the foot of the left hand post.

However, it was Beaconsfield who took the lead in the 37th minute as Aaron Berry swept the ball home inside a crowded area following two corners in quick succession.

Two minutes later, Berry had grabbed his brace – his sixth goal in three matches – as the forward latched on to a forward pass to slot the ball home from the edge of the area.

Just before the half-time whistle, Berry missed a great chance to secure his hat-trick, but headed across goal when a cross came in from the left.

Strong words from manager Jon Taylor clearly galvanised the side for the second half as the Eagles took the game to their hosts.

Beaconsfield defended well, but two minutes before the hour mark, Josh Beech fired home from close range to pull a goal back.

The Eagles had the ball in the net again on 65 minutes, but the goal was disallowed as Beaconsfield keeper Sam Bunting and Leroy Griffiths went up for the same diagonal cross.

Bunting went down, Griffiths popped the ball into the net, and the referee awarded a free-kick.

For the last 20 minutes, and with their three allotted substitutions already made, Beaconsfield were reduced to 10 men when Jack McKnight hobbled off injured.

Five minutes afterwards, Lee Hawkes - left on his own in the area as a free kick came in from the right - tested the agility of Bunting with a well placed header that had the keeper stretching to push the ball away.

The equaliser was coming, and in the 81st minute it arrived. As Bedford came forward, a super flick from Matt Clifford allowed Beech to push the ball forward to Griffiths who planted a perfect shot into the corner of the net from 20 yards out.

The goal settled the game down for the last few minutes, and both teams were content to settle for a share of the spoils.

The Eagles finish the season in 14th position, with 49 points from 42 games.

Bedford already have three pre-season games booked. On Tuesday, July 5 the Eagles host Hemel Hempstead Town, before facing Luton Town at home on July 16 and Peterborough United on July 19.

Eagles: Enol Ordonez Suarez, Devante Stanley, Lee Hawkes, James Peters (c), Chris Cordara-Soanes, Kyal McNulty (Stuart Muldrew 52), Dominic Morgan-Griffiths, Josh Beech, Leroy Griffiths, Ben Farrell, Matt Clifford.

Subs not used: Ashley Harris, Josh Bamford, Nathan Hilaire, Kenny Orenuga.

Beaconsfield SYCOB: Sam Bunting, Tom Wohlfiel, Ryan Haugh Jack McKnight, Harry Tucker, Lee Togwell (c), Aaron Minhas (Jordan Ford ht), Tristan Campbell, Aaron Berry, Sam Deadfield (Callum Mapley 61), Ashleigh Artwell (Ollie McCoy 34)

Referee: Mr. O Saliy.

Assistants: Mr. V Anekwe & Mr. P Smith.

Attendance: 97