Eagles are beaten by Barton in Bedfordshire derby

First for sports news
First for sports news

Life is proving to be a bit tough at the Eyrie at the moment, and it didn’t get any easier on Bank Holiday Monday as the Eagles were beaten 4-2 by Bedfordshire neighbours Barton Rovers.

On the back of the comprehensive victory over AFC Hayes two days previously, Bedford manager Craig Adams kept the same starting line-up and the same subs bench.

There was an early scare with the game just two minutes old, when Keshi Anderson showed why he was going to be a big thorn in the Bedford defence.

He moved clear to receive a pass, but Dan Burke had seen the danger, and stopped the move with a saving tackle.

Despite the wet conditions, it was a lively game, and a few minutes later Barton’s Kyle Forster came to the rescue with a double save.

First Scott Cross’ angled drive was beaten away, then Tommy Glasscoe’s rebound was foiled by the agility of the keeper as the ball was blocked.

Anderson was most definitely the danger man for the visitors, and a one-two with James Peters on the left hand corner of the area allowed the front man to try a curling shot.

The ball seemed to hang in the air before it curled past the outstretched hands of Lee Crockett and into the net for the opening goal, with 13 minutes on the clock.

Crockett was not long in coming back into action, when a sweeping move from Barton ended with a pass into space from former Eagle, Nat Peacock.

Bilal Hassan thundered through, and Crockett positioned himself correctly to save.

Bedford were on the back foot, and every move seemed to involve Anderson.

After he raced through the defence, Crockett was once again the saviour as he saved the resulting shot.

A free-kick midway through the half caused problems for the Bedford defence, and when Kevin Kilroy curled the kick over the wall, Crockett had to dive to his left to palm the ball away.

Bedford slowly regrouped and, with 37 minutes on the clock, they netted an equaliser. After a series of crosses, Rob Parker – placed on the edge of the area – hit an angry shot that flew into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

And it was Bedford who took the lead just 13 seconds into the second half.

The ball was played back to Niran Vaughan from kick-off, and he was ambushed by Cross and Parker, with the former weaving the ball into the area and planting a shot past Forster into the bottom right hand corner.

Ten minutes into the half, a throw on the right evaded everyone in the area, except Louis Lee, but his close range effort was pushed round the post by Crockett.

But Crockett could do nothing to prevent the equaliser after 62 minutes when the ball was swung over from the left, and unmarked central defender Paul Andrews had time to power a header into the net.

Barton then took over again and Lee latched onto a cross from Peacock, but only managed to clear the bar, before the visitors took the lead in the 70th minute.

A free-kick from the right was played into the far side of the area. Peacock then directed it into the danger area, and in a melee of players, Hassan hooked the ball over the line.

Bedford came back looking for the equaliser, but found the defence more resolute.

Three minutes into stoppage time, Jordan Jarrold found Josh Winters on the right hand side of the area, but Winters could only push his shot wide.

With six minutes extra played, and the home side committed to attack, a long clearance out of defence found Billy Lannon, all alone.

The substitute went towards goal, but his shot was denied by the palm of Crockett. Unfortunately the ball bounced in front of Anderson and, with the Bedford defence still making up ground, the striker walked the ball into the net.

The Eagles take a break from league action on Saturday, as the side travel to Wellingborough to face AFC Rushden & Diamonds in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup. 3pm kick-off.