County League leaders are well beaten

IT wasn’t a good day for the top two in the Premier Division after they both suffered away defeats.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 17th January 2011, 2:29 pm

After Southill Alexander’s points had been expunged following their midweek withdrawal from league, new leaders Shefford Town & Campton had their nine game unbeaten run ended with a 3-1 defeat at Blunham.

It also means that Blunham now menacingly move up to fourth spot just a point behind their victims but with two games in hand. Steve Thomas, Matty McMahon and Ben Flatters scored the goals to retain Blunham’s unbeaten home record to take their own unbeaten run up to nine games. Andy Hayday netted for the visitors.

At start of play Wilshamstead were second but they suffered an 8-2 defeat at Renhold United who now swap places with them in the standings. Jason Allison and Tommy Foyle were on target twice apiece alongside an own goal plus strikes from Sheldon Washington, Anish Khinda and Jason Thompson while the visitors replies came from a Paul Jones brace.

Defeats for the top two was also good news for Caldecote. Like Blunham they have played two games fewer and only trail them by two points following their 2-0 home win over Dunton. Dave Lenton and Paul Lawrence scored the first half goals.

At the other end of the table, it was a good day for AFC Kempston Town. They climbed out of the relegation zone with their first home win of the season, a 3-1 victory over bottom of the table Biggleswade United Reserves. Lyndon Ingerson, Sundip Gill and Jamie Wodd all scored in the first half before Edo Dangi replied for United.

So back in the drop zone are Arlesey Town Reserves after they were beaten 3-0 at Oakley Sports. Mark Smith, Jamie Endersby and David Miljkovic netted for their first victory in six outings while it leaves the Blues still seeking their first away win of the season.

The scheduled game between Woburn and Sharnbrook was postponed due to a waterlogged Crawley Road pitch.

Division One

POTTON Wanderers took their winning ways to six games to remain three points clear in Division One with a 3-0 win at Bedford Sports Athletic. Danny Fox, James Hearson and Antony Schurek were the goalscorers.

For Marston Shelton Rovers it was a 4-1 home win over Caldecote Reserves thanks to Givran Pirbhai, Dean Clark, Jamie Cerminara and Tom Wyldes, the lone reply from Terry Lawrence.

Third place Bedford Hatters lost ground after a 2-2 draw at Sandy. Rob Tapley gave the hosts a fifth minute lead before strikes from Richard Cook and Simon Pixley saw Hatters 2-1 up. But a late goal from Ben Wilkes ensured a share of the points and that left Sandy unbeaten in their last six outings.

At Miller Road it took just a single goal from Simon Jakes to earn Meltis Albion a 1-0 win over Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves. They are now fourth and three points clear of Henlow who ran out 2-1 home winners over Blunham Reserves. Joe Fallano and Bryan Seago were on target against a Blunham reply from Callum McGlynn.

At the bottom end of the table it was a red letter day for basement club Luton Old Boys. They had their first away win of the season, 4-0 at AFC Kempston Town Reserves thanks to Ashley Wadhams (two), Stephen Odell and Dennis Mpinganjira.

Division Two

WITH leaders Arlesey Social Galacticos under league suspension for non-payment of fines, both Clifton and Queens Park Crescents missed the opportunity to go top after both suffered away defeats.

Clifton’s Tony Norman scored in a 2-1 defeat at Bromham United whose goals came from Antony Farr and Phill Kempsell and they now just trail Clifton in third on goal difference.

Queens Park Crescents lost 5-1 at fifth place Lea Sports PSG 5-1 after James Owofisan and Martin Collins each scored twice alongside a single for Haji Conteh, the visitors replying through Shezad Satter.

Still very much in the promotion race are sixth place Elstow Abbey. They won 6-0 at home to Stevington after Tom Pitts and Ed L’Erario shot them 2-0 ahead before Stevington’s Darren King received a red card just before the interval. After that, a Martisse Clarke penalty and strikes from Jason Harrison, Harry Ellis and Bradley Head completed the rout.

Another club under league suspension for non-payment of fines are Stopsley Park whose game at home against Kempston Hammers Sports was postponed. The Hammers however were in action in a hastily-arranged fixture away at Great Barford, who had been the intended hosts for Arlesey Social Galacticos and it ended all square at 1-1, the home side rewarded with an own goal against a Hammers reply from Kevin Simcoe.

Kings AFC made it three home wins on the bounce with a 2-0 win over Marabese Ceramics, Josh Clements netting both, while Shefford Town & Campton Reserves are now eight games without a win after losing 2-1 at home to Westoning Recreation Club. Ian Buckingham and Alex Barnwell were on target for the Rec Boys with Jordan Robbens replying

Division Three

ON a day when leaders Pavenham were to lose their seasons 100 per cent record in a 2-2 against Co-op Sports, the blow was lessened by the news that second place Sharnbrook Rovers had been beaten 1-0 at Wilshamstead Reserves, thus increasing their lead to four points.

Pavenham trailed the Co-op after Robbie Cusack scored but Will McNally levelled ten minutes from time. Then with four minutes to go, James McMulkin put the visitors ahead only to see Pavenham hit back with a goal from Daniel Doyle on the final whistle.

Rani Thiarra netted Wilshamstead Reserves’ goal to take them too their third successive win to end Sharnbrook Reserves’ six game winning run. And following six straight defeats, Royal Oak Kempston returned to winning ways with a 1-0 home win over Renhold Village thanks to a strike from Gareth Arzu.

Cranfield United Reserves retained their season’s unbeaten ways on the road with a 2-1 victory at Riseley Sports thanks to an Adam Constable double, the home reply from Jimmy Grandidge who also missed from the penalty spot.

Dunton Reserves enjoyed a 3-2 ‘home’ win over Caldecote ‘A’ after a ground switch. Paul Beith plus an own goal and a Nicky Albone penalty outweighed a brace from Dan Fennell.

The two other scheduled games between Flitwick Town Reserves and Sundon Park Rangers and the Westoning Recreation Club Reserves versus Shefford Town & Campton ‘A’ game were postponed due to waterlogging.

Division Four

AFC Turvey are now seven points clear in Division Four following a 5-1 winners at Dinamo Flitwick. Saimir Guri was on target twice alongside an own goal plus strikes from Andrew Wren and Daniel Bailey, the a home reply from Dale Goldie.

With Thurleigh’s home game with Stewartby Village called off, Eastcotts took full advantage to leapfrog them into second spot after a 5-1 win at Kempston Athletic. Ben Eagles (two), Ciaran Alexander, Michael Sexton and Adam Jacques were all on target against a home reply from Adam Maloney.

Up to fourth are Goldington following an 8-0 drubbing of arch rivals Goldington Hammers. Robert Brown bagged a hat-trick, Karl Anderson a brace plus an own goal and strikes from Johnny Hutchinson and Damien Quigley.

For Bedford Park Rangers, it was a first win in seven outings, 3-0 at home to Lea Sports PSG Reserves with goals from Richard Patterson, Shaun Finlay and Roger Goff.

The game between Potton Town and Wootton Village was postponed but at Whiston Crescent, Clifton Reserves climbed into the top six thanks to a 4-1 win over Sandy Reserves.

Greg King (two) Robert Haradine and David Dice were on the scoresheet with Sandy’s reply from Marcus Tait but it was no surprise that the hosts had such a ‘majestic’ win as their line-up included four Kings Barry (the

uncle) and his three nephews Greg, George and Michael. Now that’s what you call a ‘royal win’!