Clark’s goal seals win for the league leaders

SHEFFORD Town & Campton’s lead at the head of the Premier Division table is up to four points after a fiftth minute strike from Chris Clarke was enough to seal them the three points in a 1-0 win at Arlesey Town Reserves.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 28th March 2011, 10:41 am

However the Blues second team remain rooted to the bottom of standings after this, their ninth outing without a win.

The Rectory Road Boys lead at the head of the standings increasing by a point following Wilshamstead’s shock 1-2 home defeat at the hands of AFC Kempston Town, who in taking their current unbeaten ways to six games now move themselves out of relegation zone at the other end of the table.

Ahead 1-0 at the break via Roy Murnane, a strike from Danny Pilgrim was to place them 2-0 up on the hour mark before Paul Jones replied for the home side.

The result of Wilshamstead defeat sees them now drop to third place in the league standings after Blunham ran out 2-0 winners at Renhold United, thus taking them up into that second slot and keeping them well on track to retain their title.

At the same time it placed a big dent in United’s own title aspirations, goals from Andy Smith and Tim Gill doing the damage.

Now down into the relegation zone are Woburn, they were beaten 1-0 at Dunton. Paul Mercer netting the only goal of the game 10 minutes from time to take his sides unbeaten home ways up to five games and also saving the day for teammate Dave Pugh who had earlier missed from the penalty spot.

For Flitwick Town it was a return to winning ways with a 3-1 home win over Oakley Sports, Pete Kowenburg, Richie Bevan and Jim Lewis all finding the back of the net against a lone reply from Justin Patterson.

In the rehearsal for their forthcoming Britannia Cup semi-final tie, Leighton United were beaten 3-1 on home soil by Caldecote.

It was goalless at half time but two second half goals from Mark Phillips plus a strike from Paul Lawrence for the visitors only being replied to by a United goal from Phil Matthews.

Division One

FOR Division One league leaders Potton Wanderers it was a 3-1 victory at Caldecote Reserves, James Hearson hitting a brace and Craig Schurek a single goal against a home penalty success from Tom Dupey.

Now up into second are Bedford Hatters. With two goals from Simon Pixley and strikes from Mark Reed and Percy Chagwiza taking their unbeaten ways up to nine games with a 4-0 win at AFC Kempston Town Reserves, to leapfrog above Marston Shelton Rovers on goal difference, after the Rovers were beaten 3-2 at Sandy.

Rovers’ Luke Smith put them in front 25 minutes into the contest only for the hosts to level thourgh an Ian Hammett penalty and a goal from Daniel Stafford for 2-1 at the break.

When Rovers’ Jim Burraway levelled matters five minutes from time it seemed honours would be shared but alas for Marston, Daniel Stafford struck right on the final whistle to give his side their sixth consecutive win to not only keep them in fifth spot in the league standings but place a big dent into the Rovers promotion hopes.

There was a shock result at Miller Road where host club Meltis Albion unbeaten in their last seven home outings were beaten 3-0 by a Henlow side winning for the first time in eight outings. Peter Saunders, Stewart Dennis and an own goal did the damage.

Elsewhere FC Meppershall ended a run of four straight defeats by sharing the points in a 2-2 draw at Bedford Sports Athletic, Andrew Latimer and Ashley Mead on target for The Athletic against replies from Danny Wing and Craig Damon.

It was also 2-2 on The Green between Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves and Blunham Reserves, Lee Threadgold on target twice for the home side, one from the penalty spot against Blunham replies via Dan Whitten and Darren Ashpole.

Division Two

STILL topping the standings in Division Two are Bromham United who were awarded three points when bottom of the table Kempston Hammers Sports failed to raise a side to entertain them. But having played more games than all of their title rivals, perhaps their days on the summit are numbered.

Of those rivals, it was sweet revenge for Lea Sports PSG who maintained their season’s unbeaten home ways with a 3-0 win over fellow title rivals Elstow Abbey who removed them from the Beds FA Junior Cup just 14 days ago at the same venue.

This time after a goalless first half, two goals from Dion Brown and a strike from Martin Collins won PSG the day.

Also winning 3-0 and still very much in the title race were Kings AFC who beat Clifton. Rowan Hazelwood, Josh Clements and Nathan Clements netted the goals.

Westoning Recreation Club meantime were keeping their slight promotion hopes alive with a 4-3 home win over Stevington. Ian Buckingham netting twice alongside Glen Cooksley and Tom Smith for the Rec Boys against replies from Darren King twice and Arron Fletcher.

The biggest scorers of the day however were Stopsley Park, 5-0 home winners over Great Barford with goals from Lee Russell, Chris Gardner, Simon Richards,Kenny Ivey and Craig Petitt all finding the net.

Local derby action at Groveside saw Marabese Ceramics pick up a point in a 1-1 home draw against Shefford Town & Campton Reserves. Josh Pierre St Claire was on the mark for the hosts against a Town reply from Jordan Robbins.

Division Three

THERE are new leaders in Division Three as Sharnbrook Reserves won 2-0 at home to Riseley Sports with goals from Darren Wallinger and Ryan Massey.

Losing out on that top spot are Pavenham after they were held to a 1-1 home draw by Sundon Park Rangers, the disposed league leaders having played three games fewer are still unbeaten this season and just a point shy of Sharnbrook.

Stuart Beazley was the their marksman against a Rangers reply from Luke Evans which extended his sides own unbeaten ways to eight games to keep in the promotion chase.

Co-op Sports are also in the promotion mix. For them it’s eight games unbeaten after running out 6-1 home winners over Shefford Town & Campton ‘A’. Ashley Jordan (two), Mark Horgan, Eamon Cusack, Scott Davis plus an own goal did the damage while Wayne Huxton snatched the reply.

For M & DH Oakley it was the award of three points when Westoning Recreation Club Reserves failed to raise a side to meet them and the same reward fell to Flitwick Town Reserves after Caldecote ‘A’ also failed to raise at Harvey Close.

Still unbeaten on their travels this season are Cranfield United Reserves who were 7-2 winners at Wilshamstead Reserves. James Armstrong hit two while there were single strikes from James Fowler, Neil Mangan, Peter Kerr, Adam Constable and Adam Kerr, the home replies from Neil Greig and Matthew Johnson.

After five games without a win, Renhold Village stopped the rot with a 4-1 home victory over Dunton Reserves. Daniel Luke (two), Carl Townsend and John Searle netted the goals against a reply from Chris Wuestner.

Division Four

IT was business as usual for AFC Turvey who chalked up league win number 19 on the bounce with a 4-0 home victory over Lea Sports Reserves. A John Guiney penalty in the opening half was added to by Andrew Wren, Mark Allen and Robin Ellis in the second period.

For Goldington it was only a share of the spoils in a 3-3 home draw with fellow promotion seekers Potton Town. Karl Anderson (two) andJohn Hutchinson saw their goals cancelled out by Mark Mijalski, Chris Cooper and Sam King.

In third spot are Dinamo Flitwick who won 3-0 at Sandy Reserves with goals from Adam Semarks, Ben Canning and Dean Myers while fourth placed Eastcotts won 2-0 at Thurleigh thanks to Tony Milioti and Michael Sexton.

Top scorers were Clifton Reserves who, after three straight defeats, returned to winning ways with a 5-3 home victory over Kempston Athletic with goals from Robert Horne (two), Rob Harradine, Sam Mills and Jack Bicks against Ath replies from Gary Whitbread twice and Rob Booth.

Elsewhere, Goldington Hammers lost 3-1 at home to Stewartby Village, Tom Wheelhouse (two) and James Churchman netting the Village goals against a home reply from Jamie Mercurio.