Brophy’s double stuns Caldecote

Bedfordshire League: The shock of the day daw second from bottom Dunton won for only the third time at home in the Premier Division by beating third placed Caldecote 2-0.

Liam Brophy put Dunton ahead after 41 minutes only for his teammate Nicky Threadgold to be red carded two minutes later. But Brophy’s header 10 minutes from time sealed the three points for and shook the visitors the core.

At Rectory Road, Shefford Town & Campton stretched their Premier Division lead to four points with a 2-1 win over Wilshamstead. The visitors took the lead with a goal from Kevin Butler on the half hour but Dan Webb levelled seven minutes into the new half. Then it was Gary Ansell-Carter who hit the winner on the stroke of full time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The final scheduled game between Arlesey Town Reserves and Blunham was postponed after Blunham failed to raise a side to travel.

Division One

FC MEPPERSHALL climbed above cup playing Henlow and into sixth spot in Division One with a 4-2 victory against Luton Boys. Joe Price (two), Kieran Walsh and Danny Wing saw their goals only replied to by Richard Downer and Jordan Holmes.

Lea Sports PSG remain unbeaten in their last nine outings following a 2-0 home win over bottom of the table Westoning. Dion Brown and Ian Hyde netted the goals.

Meltis Albion are still in search of the their first home win of the season after losing 5-0 to AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College Reserves. Paul Garrett scored two while Lee Moon, Adam Cunningham and Rob Jones brought up the nap hand.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

ELSTOW Abbey retained their season’s unbeaten Division Two run to move six points clear with a 5-0 victory at Clifton. Danny Pilgrim netting the only goal of the opening half while in the second half he completed his hat-trick, the other goals coming from Dave McCarthy and Harry Ellis.

Meanwhile, third placed Pavenham are now unbeaten in their last eight starts after winning 3-0 at M & DH Oakley thanks to James Owen, Tom Rodger and Michael Bates.

Shefford Town & Campton Reserves jumped up into sixth with a 3-0 away win at Co-op Sports with Jordan Ainslie, Sam Jones and Sam Martin all on target.

Elsewhere, Marabese Ceramics returned to winning ways for the first time in four home starts with a 3-2 win over Queens Park Crescents thanks to Lewis Littlechild, Gary Botazzi and Lewis Emery. But alas for bottom of the table Great Barford, it was defeat number 20 as they lost 5-1 at Stopsley Park. Simon Richards bagged a hat-trick while Rob Wilson and Dean Abrahams got the others, the only reply from the penalty spot courtesy of George Harris.

Division Three

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

RENHOLD Village missed their chance to top Division Three after losing 4-2 at home to Westoning Reserves who won for the first time in 12 outings. Gareth White bagged a hat-trick and Michael Draycott a single against Village replies from Pete Neal and Mark Tobdzic.

It was a red letter day for Flitwick Town Reserves who moved off the bottom after winning 4-2 at Royal Oak Kempston, thus ending a run of 10 straight defeats. Ben Ward, Steve Smith, Daryl Stringer and Gary Stringer were on the scoresheet against Oak replies from Lorenzo Jordan and Brendan Cunningham.

Meanwhile, Kempston Hammers Sports’ unbeaten run of five games was ended with a 3-0 defeat at Eastcotts AFC whose goalscorers were Adam Jacques, Oliver Bates and Michael Sexton.

Division Four

THE biggest win of the day belonged to Dinamo Flitwick. They were 8-1 winners at home to Goldington Hammers with goals from Gareth Goodman (two), Jake Taylor, Dale Goldie, Barrie Hannam, Scott Hannam, Alex Summers and James Burton.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves ended a seven game unbeaten run when losing 6-3 at Clifton Reserves who chalked up their sixth win on the bounce. Greg King and Sam Nightingale both netting twice while an own goal and a Darren Carter strike sealed the points, the replies from Graham Weddell (two) and Lee Coan.

Elsewhere, Sandy Reserves won for just the third time on home soil this season with a 3-0 success against Wootton Village. Jonnie Stratford, Adam Hales and Chris Gregory all found the net.

And finally, Caldecote ‘A’ with goals from Jordan Goodman and Ryan Ambrose ran out 2-0 home winners over Shefford Town & Campton ‘A’.

Britannia Cup

AN extra-time 4-3 win by Woburn means they will face a trip to Shefford Town & Campton in the last four of the Britannia Cup after beating Flitwick Town.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Goals from Mattha Busby, Ben Nichols and Aaron Ripley were cancelled out by Town’s strikes from Richie Bevan twice and Martin Byrne in normal time while Martin Holland snatched the Safari Boys’ winner in the extra 30 minutes.

In the other half of the draw, Oakley Sports with four goals from Shaun Barnett against a lone reply from Darren Allen were 4-1 home win over Bedford Hatters to earn themselves a home semi-final tie against AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College who required a penalty shoot-out to see off Renhold United at Hillgrounds.

The Town’s scorers were Lyndon Ingerson and Tom Behan as they led 2-0 until strikes from United’s Alex Woolston and Warren Bentley in the last 11 minutes took the contest into extra time. But with no further goals, it was Kempston who held their nerve to win the shoot-out 5-4.

Centenary Cup

THE biggest win of the day belonged to Ickwell & Old Warden who emerged 7-1 winners at Bedford Sports Athletic in the Centenary Cup. Lee Threadgold netted four times alongside single for Zak Rowe, Matthew McCartney and Danny Fox, the lone Athletic reply from Paul Nigro.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ickwell now face a trip to Kings AFC in the semi-finals after they enjoyed a 3-0 home win over Lidlington United Sports. Josh Clements (two) and Nicho Stanchev bagged the goals.

For Marston Shelton Rovers, there was a 3-2 home win over Caldecote Reserves thanks to Alex Goosby, Xennan Paul plus a Jamie Cerminara penalty, the replies from Matt Basta and Andrew Spiers.

It means Marston will meet Sandy in the last four stage following their 4-2 extra time win at Henlow. Neil and Joseph Spencer were on the scoresheet for the hosts in the opening 90 minutes against replies from Ian Hammett and Dan Stafford but a second goal from Stafford and a strike from Charlie Seward won the day for the visitors.

Jubilee Cup

IN the quarter-finals of the Jubilee Cup, Sundon Park Rangers booked their placve in the semi-finals with a 2-1 home win over Bromham United. Edward Lewis and Samuel Kehinde netted the goals against a lone reply from Dave Baxter.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rangers now have a home semi-final with AFC Turvey who ran out 3-2 winners over Potton United Reserves thanks to Mike Stephenson, Saimir Guri and a 90th minute penalty from Daniel Bailey, United’s replies from Dan Harvey and Sam Worthington.

Watson Shield

JUST three of the afternoon’s seven Watson Shield ties were settled inside the 90 minutes. Cranfield United Reserves had an easy 4-0 home win over Dunton ‘A’ thanks to goals from James Armstrong, Dan Cockerton, Adam Kerr and Josh Whetlor. It means that earn a trip to Bedford Panthers in the quarter-finals after they produced the result of the second round, a penalty shoot-out win at Thurleigh.

Michael Bailey and Scott King were on their scoresheet in normal time against replies from Salvatore Ventriglia and David Mulvhill but Michael Garcia O’Brien’s extra time strike was cancelled out by Liam Bolton until the Panthers won the shoot-out 4-1.

Also winning inside 90 minutes were Potton Town. They enjoyed a 3-1 victory at Marsh Leys after Alex Clipston shoot the hosts into a 1-0 half time lead. But Chris Cooper, Nick Gilbert and Jamie Hutchinson all netted in the second period to earn Town a trip to Bedford Park Rangers in the last eight.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Park needed a home penalty shoot-out win over Stewartby Village after goals from Rangers’ Shaun Finlay and Jordan Wright in the opening 90 minutes whilst a Ryan Collis penalty and a Paul Welling goal levelled for the Village for 2-2. But after extra time failed to get a result, it was The Rangers who won the shoot-out 8-7.

The third 90 minute winners were Sundon Park Rangers Colts who beat Riseley Sports 4-3 with goals from Ashley Wadhams, Kevin Hilton, Luke Dolan and Cameron Forbes while the replies came from Alan Spurgeon, Will Baish and Tom Ellison.

The Colts will now travel to Stevington in the quarter-finals after they emerged home penalty shoot-out winners over Dunton Reserves. Gavin White and Andre Bonadies were on the Stevington scoresheet against replies from Ben Myler and Dan Cutmore to make it 2-2 after 90 minutes. The extra 30 failed to settle it but the shoot-out was won 4-2 by Stevington.

Also into the quarter-finals are Goldington after a 5-2 extra time win at Wilshamstead Reserves. Justin Muircroft netted a hat-trick together with strikes from Kevin Evans and Jason Calvert, the replies from Matt Johnson and Harry Barker. It means Goldington get a home tie with Renhold Village.