Beds League: Shefford begin Britannia Cup defence in style

editorial image

Shefford Town & Campton put their recent poor recent league form to one side and began a successful defence of their Britannia Cup with victory in the first round at Pavenham on Saturday.

Michael Jones, Andrew Hayday, Jake Renney and Ryan Lewis all found the back of the net against a lone home reply from Tom Rodger to earn themselves a 4-1 win and an home last eight tie against AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College who ran out 4-0 away winners at Flitwick Town.

Ahead in the 29th minute via a Courtney Boughton header they were to seal the tie when Andrew Latimer struck twice in the 68th and 77th minute of the contest before Matty Phelan netted the final goal of the game seven minutes from time.

For last season’s beaten finalists Wilstead it was a 2-1 home victory over Sandy. Paul Jones and Colin Marshall netting the vital goals to shoot them 2-0 ahead before Tom McGhee reduced the arrears in the second half. In round two they will travel to meet AFC Oakley M&DH who ran out 3-1 home winners over Ickwell & Old Warden, Robbie Alder netting twice and Ali Smith once against a lone reply from Matthew Bruney.

The shock of the day came with Sharnbrook’s penalty shoot out win at league leaders Renhold United to earn them a trip to Marston Shelton Rovers in round two. 1-1 at 90 minutes due to a United strike from Jason Allision being replied to by Shaun Barnett, the scoreline was up to 2-2 with a home goal from Alex Woolston levelled out by one from Jim Burnside before Sharnbrook goalkeeper James Ashley stole the limelight, first beating out a extra time penalty to take the tie to a shoot-out where he saved another two as his club emerged 6-5 winners.

Meantime a lone goal from Michael Sexton was enough to give Eastcotts AFC a 1-0 win at Caldecote to earn themselves an away second round tie at Wootton Blue Cross.

Premier Division supported by Sportsform

The lone league action of the afternoon saw Marston Shelton Rovers take their unbeaten away ways up to six games by sharing the spoils in a 3-3 draw at Wootton Blue Cross, Carl Ibbotson twice and Jo O’Donnell on the home scoresheet against Rovers replies via Jamie Cerminara, Harry Murray plus an own goal.

Centenary Cup 1st Round

Henlow’s defence of the Centenary Cup was to fall at the first hurdle when they were beaten 3-2 at home by AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College Reserves. Jake Duxbury, Michael Stevenson and Keegan Roberts were on the Town scoresheet against home replies via Antony Bowskill and Keith Milburn. Town earning themselves a home round two tie against Riseley Sports.

Also going out at the first time of asking were last seasons beaten finalists Sundon Park Rangers who went down to a 4-1 defeat at Marabese Ceramics. Luke Deards netted twice alongside goals from Bradley and John Vooght against a lone reply from Nicky Buttigeig. The Tilermen in round two will be at home to Queens Park Crescents who ran out 3-1 home extra time winners over Bedford SA. Zeeshan Yousuf, Shezad Sattar and Luke Sozzo on the Crescents scoresheet against a lone reply from Daniel Bond.

For Great Barford it was a 2-1 home win over AFC Oakley M&DH Reserves thanks to a brace of goals from Elijah Hukin against a lone reply from Louis Green to set up perhaps the tie of the second round where they will play hosts to Cranfield United who ran out 2-0 winners at Potton Town thanks to goals from Jordan Appleton and Jack Brown.

Elsewhere, Meltis Albion were 3-1 home winners over Shefford Town & Campton Reserves to earn a visit from Elstow Abbey in round two. Carl Townsend, Alex Smith and Alexis Kamenan netting the goals against one in reply from Philip Bright.

Division One supported by Wests Citroen Bedford

In the lone league action Riseley Sports moved up the league table into sixth spot after a lone goal from Karl Walker took them to a 1-0 home win over bottom of the table AFC Harlington.

Jubilee Cup 1st Round

The biggest winners of the day were FC Houghton who ran out 8-2 winners at Bedford United to earn a home round two tie against Stevington. Lawrence Taylor leading the way with a hat-trick and supported by a brace from Sam Martin and a single strike from Charlie Nicholson. Whilst after winning 3-1 at Wootton Village thanks to goals from Liam Bolton twice and Ryan Prior, Clapham Sports will now host Marston Shelton Rovers Reserves in round two after they ran out 2-1 winners at Moggerhanger United. Carl Borromeo and Robert Taylor on the Rovers scoresheet against a United reply from Paul Beith.

Also winning 2-1 were Kempston Hammers with a home win over Kempston Athletic. Chris Green plus a Jamie Peacock penalty doing the damage to earn them a trip to either Meltis Albion Reserves or Westoning who go to battle this coming weekend.

Division Two

Stevington took their winning ways up to 13 games and moved to within a point of league leaders Clapham Sports after they ran out 11-3 home winners over bottom of the table Wilstead Reserves. James Bourke netting four times, Keiran Souter three times to go with single strikes from Jordan Wright, Aaron Hewitt, Joe Holyoke and Sam Nightingale against Wilstead replies via Callum Evans twice and Sam Ward.

Also now just a point behind the league leaders are third place Westoning who took their own winning ways up to 11 games with a 5-1 home victory over Renhold United Reserves. Thomas Cooksley and Shaun Cooksley both netting twice and James Lovett once to bring up the nap hand against a lone reply from Michael France.

The final league action of the day saw Meltis Albion Reserves return to winning ways on the road with a 3-2 victory at second from bottom of the table Caldecote Reserves. Steve Stafford, Kane Walker and Josh St Clair Pierre all on the scoresheet against home replies via Joe Rowley and Nicky Albone.

Watson Shield Round One

The much delayed Leighton United U17 v Leighton Town U17 opening round tie was to go the way of the Town by five goals to three to earn them a trip to Atletico Europa in round two.

Watson Shield Round Two

With Southcott Village RA U17 pulling out of the competition in midweek Clifton now face a trip to Flitwick Town Reserves in round three. Plus also hitting the road will be Sandy Reserves who were gifted a third round place after Linslade Galaxy Real U17 also pulled out during the week. However, they first must wait for Atletico Europa and Leighton Town U17 to settle their second round encounter to know in which direction they go.

For Mid Beds Tigers who ran out 4-2 home winners over Caldecote U20 thanks to two goals from David Smith and single strikes from Dave Trundley and Luke Clark against two in reply from Chris Richardson it will be a home tie in round three against Shefford Town & Campton A who with a goal from Jake Hills were 1-0 home winners over Westoning U20.

Over at Crawley Road, Cranfield United Reserves required extra time to see off Dunstable Town U17 in a 5-3 scoreline after 90 minutes play had seen the sides all square at 3-3. Daniel Mclaren with a brace and a single strike from Luke Gray on the home scoresheet in normal time before Mclaren claimed his hat-trick and Luke Kelly added to the scoreline in extra time. They will now play hosts in round three to Lea Sports PSG who needed a penalty shoot win to see off Dinamo Flitwick. Owen Malcolm and a Ryan Darby penalty netting for PSG inside the opening 90 minutes against replies from Dean Myers and Charlie Battams. Whilst Ryan Durrant for PSG and Josh Pearson for Dinamo netting in extra time to take us to a shoot-out which PSG won 5-3.

Division Three

The lone league action was to see Sandy Reserves return to winning ways with a 2-0 home win over FC Serbia to end the visitors nine game unbeaten run. John Sheppard and Andy Barker netting the vital goals to do the damage.