Bedfordshire League: Henlow shock semi-final winners

Henlow provided the shock of the day when they netted a 2-1 extra time win over Leighton United in the Centenary Cup semi-final.
Dunton FCDunton FC
Dunton FC

Henlow provided the shock of the day when they netted a 2-1 extra time win over Leighton United in the Centenary Cup semi-final.

Keith Milburn scored for the hosts and Robert Smith for United in normal time before Joe Spencer hit the winner in the additional time. United’s cause was not helped after they finished the game with nine players following red cards for Colin Moore and Daryl Smith.

They will now face Elstow Abbey in the final after they beat Caldecote Reserves 3-2 in a game switched after Caldecote’s Harvey Close failed a pitch inspection. Caldecote took the lead via a 13th minute penalty from Neil Giles before Charlie Nicholson levelled matters, only to see Stuart Kemp shoot Caldecote back in front 10 minutes later. However, Abbey struck twice to win.

Britannia Cup Semi-final

Both Britannia Cup semi-finals were postponed and are likely to be played on Wednesday, March 27.

Premier Division

Caldecote’s lead at the head of the Premier Division supported by Sportsform league table is now up to four points following their 4-2 victory at second from bottom of the table Sharnbrook. Barry Dellar with a brace plus a goal from Matt Lee-Dell and a Paul Gower penalty only being replied to by Tommy Chapman and Martyn Cain for the home side.

Now back up into third place are Arlesey Town Reserves who exchanged places in the league table with AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College by beating them 2-0 at Hillgrounds. Charlie Marshall and Tyler Prince netting the goals to do the damage.

However, the top scorers of the day were Marston Shelton Rovers with a 5-0 home victory over bottom of the table Bedford Sports Athletic. Dean Reid, Aaron Franks, Jim Burraway, Harry Baker and a Jamie Cerminara penalty all finding the back of the net.

Elsewhere for Bedford Hatters it was a 1-0 away win at AFC Biggleswade thanks to a successful first half penalty from Simon Pixley. Whilst the games Ickwell & Old Warden v Shefford Town & Campton and Lidlington United Sports v Renhold United were waterlogged off.

Division One

With Leighton United away on cup duty Shillington took full advantage to stretch their lead at the head of the league table to five points with a 3-0 home win over Sandy, their eighth home win on the bounce thanks to goals from Wayne Goldsmith, Sam James and Ryan Lewis. Whilst third place Pavenham moved to within a single point of Leighton by winning 4-1 at Brickhill Tigers. James Owen with a hat-trick plus a strike from Michael Bates only being replied to once by Tigers Dan Phillps.

Down at the other end of the league standings, bottom of the table AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College Reserves recorded their first league victory of the season 2-0 at Kings AFC who are now only four points ahead of them in the standings having played three games more. Jamie Paxton netting both of the Town’s goals.

Other action saw Shefford Town & Campton Reserves draw 2-2 at home against Luton Boys who were stretching their unbeaten ways up to eight games. Bryn Seago and Scott Frusciante on the home scoresheet against replies from Steve Odell and Naashon Bennett.

Jubilee Cup Semi-Finals

Marabese Ceramics quest for a league and cup double remains on course after they won 3-1 at Queens Park Crescents. Arin Fehmi netting twice and Gary Hillard once against a Crescents reply from Ayaz Hussain. They will now face Oakley Sports M&DH Reserves in the final after a strike from Dan Lupton took them to a 1-0 extra time win at St Joseph Reserves.

Division Two

In a rehearsal for their forthcoming Bedfordshire FA Junior Cup Final, Woburn Athletic won 4-3 at Bromham United to end the hosts five game unbeaten league run. Dan McClaren, Ben Nicholls, Martin Holland and Lewis Murray on the Safari Boys scoresheet against a United hat-trick in reply from Jahrome Mullings.

For bottom of the table Meltis Albion after 10 consecutive defeats it was a return to winning ways with a 5-3 home win over Stopsley Park. All achieved after strikes from Andy Randell, Stuart Lyons and Simon Richards had taken The Park into a 3-0 lead before two goals from Adam Cranny and strikes from Shaun Gilbert, Antony Ursell and Asa Garlick saw Albion go nap to win the day.

However, top scorers of the day were Potton United Reserves with a 6-2 home win over Westoning. John Vooght netting four times alongside strikes from Bradley Vooght and Lee Adams against replies via Dean Gadsden and Glenn Cooksley.

The scheduled games, Cranfield United Reserves v Goldington and Eastcotts AFC v Sundon Park Rangers being waterlogged off.

Watson Shield Semi-Finals

Clifton with a hat-trick from Greg King and a goal from Tony Norman ran out easy 4-0 winners at Stevington but must wait a little longer to see who they will face in the final tie after the Renhold United Reserves v Kempston Con Club Sports tie was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Division Three

For league leaders Potton Town it was an extension of their unbeaten ways to eight games to go four points clear at the head of the league standings following their 4-1 home win over fellow title contenders Great Barford. James Pyman twice plus Jesse Mayo and Chris Moore taking the Town into a 4-0 half-time lead before David Mulvihill reduced the arrears from the penalty spot in the 89th minute.

Down at the other end of the league table, second from bottom of the table Royal Oak Kempston, following five straight home defeats, won 1-0 at Dunton to record their third away win on the bounce. The vital goal coming in the 38th minute from Dean Mayes. Whilst after failing to win any of their last five league outings Wilshamstead Reserves returned to winning ways with a 3-0 home win over Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves. Goals from Liam Phillip, Colin Marshall and a Jim Steele penalty doing the damage.

The scheduled games, Kempston Hammers Sports v Riseley Sports and Westoning Reserves v Bedford Park Rangers waterlogged off.

Division Four

Bedford Panthers are now within eight points of lifting the division four league title after winning 4-2 at second place Elstow Abbey Reserves, or to be more precise netting their win on their own Hockey Centre pitch after The Abbey conceded home advantage to allow their first team to switch their Centenary cup tie to The Warren. However it was not all one way traffic, in fact The Abbey with 20 minutes left led 2-1 until the sending off of Kaylen Wilson swung things the Panthers way. Aaron Perrett with a brace plus Owen Ward and Tom Wade on the home scoresheet against Abbey goals from Sean Hendry and Aiden Powell.

For third place Marston Shelton Rovers Reserves it was a surprise 2-0 defeat at Sandy Reserves for whom Chris Gregory and Reece Stratford found the back of the net.

Now just a single point behind them and having played two games fewer are Kempston Athletic following their 3-1 home win over bottom of the table Wootton Village to take their unbeaten ways up to eight games. Gary Whitbread, Gavin Matthews and Sean Betts seeing their goals only replied to once by Dwayne Simpson.

Also still chasing that bronze medal third spot finish are Clifton Reserves who enjoyed a 4-2 home win over Dunton Reserves to take their unbeaten ways up to five games. Joe Marshall with a hat-trick plus a goal from Harry Fisher outscoring a penalty from Nicky Albone and a goal from Paul Beith.

The scheduled games, Caldecote A v Flitwick Town Reserves and Shefford Town & Campton A v Dinamo Flitwick were waterlogged off.

Related topics: