Bedfordshire league: Caldecote stretch lead at the top

Caldecote took their lead at the head of the Bedfordshire League up to six points following their 5-0 home win over third place Arlesey Town Reserves.

Kempston Hammers Sports
Kempston Hammers Sports

Town’s afternoon of woe in the Premier League supported by Sportsform began when their goalkeeper was red carded giving away the penalty from which Jack Boyd opened the scoring. Their game wasup by half-time after Boyd netted his second goal of the afternoon alongside a strike from Tom Cookman. In the second period, Boyd completed his hat-trick before Kai Griffiths-Shilton brought up the nap hand.

For second place Oakley Sports M&DH it was the requirement of an 89th minute equalizer to share the spoils in a 4-4 draw at AFC Biggleswade, all coming after they had led the game 3-0 at half-time. Bryn Williams twice plus strikes from Toby Hooton and Seamus McGreevy marking the home scoresheet, whilst Mark Smith with a brace plus Ali Smith and Jack Hoogstraten netted for Oakley.

Ickwell & Old Warden are now up into fourth spot after a lone goal from Danny Fox was enough to give them their fourth win on the bounce 1-0 at home over Flitwick Town. Whilst Renhold United’s championship hopes are still alive following their 5-3 victory at Shefford Town & Campton who were losing for the first time in five outings. Serge Kadji and Jason Allison both netting twice and Thomas Dowsing once for United against home replies from Andrew Hayday with a brace and Michael Jones.

Elsewhere, Marston Shelton Rovers made it three wins on the bounce with a 3-1 home victory over Wilshamstead who were suffering their first away defeat in five outings. Antony Henham twice plus Mark Champkin on the scoresheet for the Rovers against a lone reply from Paul Jones. Whilst Bedford Hatters ran out 2-0 winners at bottom of the table Bedford Sports Athletic thanks to goals from Simon Pixley and Paul Daniels.

The scheduled game between Lidlington United Sports and Sharnbrook postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Division One

With league leaders Shillington having their home game with Brickhill Tigers waterlogged off their lead at the head of the league table is now down to two points after second place Leighton United retained their seasons unbeaten away league record with a 2-1 victory at Henlow. Ashley Wadhams and Lee Redmond on the mark for United against a home reply via Russel Ayles.

For third place Pavenham, it was win number three on the bounce with a 5-2 home victory over second from bottom of the table Kings AFC who have now failed to win any of their last nine league outings. James Owen twice plus Jack Harding, Dan Doyle and Tim Bowers bringing up the home nap hand against replies from Josh Clements and Danny Cain.

Whilst fourth place Luton Boys lost their eight game unbeaten run tag when defeated 2-1 at home by Sandy. Phill Beall shooting Sandy in front after just 10 minutes which was cancelled out by a strike from Lawrence Kitson early in the second period until Sam Worthington hit the visitors winner just two minutes from time.

The scheduled game between AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College Reserves and Elstow Abbey postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Division Two

With league leaders Sundon Park Rangers having their home game against Cranfield United Reserves waterlogged off and second place Goldington also sitting the afternoon out, third place Marabese Ceramics moved level on points with Goldington and to within a point of the league leaders by taking their unbeaten ways up to 11 games with a 2-1 victory at Potton United Reserves. Lewis Emery and Gary Hillard netting the vital goals against a home reply from Bradley Vought.

Also enjoying life on the road were Woburn Athletic, for them it was a 4-0 victory at Oakley Sports M&DH Reserves.Martin Holland with a hat-trick plus Rocco Bruno netting the goals to take The Safari Boys up to fifth place in the league table.

But it was home sweet home for Queens Park Crescents with a 3-0 home victory over St Joseph’s Reserves. Ayan Hussain opening the scoring in the 21st minute before goals from Zain Riasat and Ammen Hussain in the opening 10 minutes of the second period sealed St Joe’s fate.

Also falling victims to a waterlogged pitch were the games, Eastcotts AFC v Westoning and Meltis Albion v Bromham United.

Division Three

Whilst the top five positions in the league table remain the same, the championship picture now looks vastly different following defeats for the top two sides and victories for the next three. With fifth place Westoning Reserves Greenfield Road pitch unplayable they agreed to play their home encounter against league leaders Potton Town on Town’s own patch. The decision being a good call after they ran out 3-2 winners thanks to a hat-trick from Steve Garner against Town replies via Chris Cooper and Jessie Moyo. Whilst for second place Riseley Sports it was a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of fourth place Great Barford whose lone goal came from Michael Pickard.

All of which did third place Clifton’s chances of lifting the league crown no harm at all after they ran out 3-1 home winners over Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves. Neil Ellis netting twice and Gareth Boness once against a lone reply from Gavin Stackman.

Down at the other end of the table, now second from bottom of the table Kempston Hammers Sports and bottom of the table Bedford Park Rangers shared the spoils in a 3-3 draw. Richard Garnham, James Robinson and Martyn Humphries on The Hammers scoresheet against Rangers replies from Tony Anynwu, David Bevan and Adrian Pinney.

With Wilshamstead Reserves unable to field a side to meet Royal Oak Kempston the points will now subject to management committee ratification be awarded to The Oak. Whilst the Stevington v Dunton game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Division Four

Bedford Panthers’ quest to seal the league title up as quickly as possible hit the buffers after they were held to a 2-2 draw at Flitwick Town Reserves and second place Elstow Abbey Reserves ran out 3-2 home winners over Clifton Reserves to close the gap to just six points with both sides still having four games to play. Cody Roberts and Ravi Jessani on target for The Town against The Panthers whose replies came via Tom Wade and Ashley Farooqui. Whilst strikes from Clifton’s Mitchell Verdia and Harry Fisher were not enough to prevent The Abbey Reserves winning 3-2 at The Warren.The Abbey goals coming via a brace from Aiden Powell and Alan Stupple.

For third place Marston Shelton Rovers Reserves it was home win number eight on the bounce with a 4-1 victory over bottom of the table Wootton Village. Charlie Cullun twice plus Dean Clark and Joe Sames netting the goals to cause the damage against a lone reply from Jayden Johnson.

Also winning 4-1at home were Sandy Reserves with a victory over Shefford Town & Campton A. Jonnie Stratford netting twice alongside Chris Greogory and Ryan Gregory against a lone Pete Saunders reply.

The games Dunton Reserves v Caldecote A and Kempston Athletic v Dinamo Flitwick postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

Watson Shield Semi-Final

Renhold United Reserves will now face Clifton in this season’s Watson Shield Cup Final after they ran out 5-0 home winners over Kempston Con Club Sports. Jason Patterson and Delroy Phillips both netting twice and Kane Alexander once to bring up the nap hand.