Bedfordshire League: Arlesey Reserves go second

Arlesey Town Reserves took full advantage of postponed games at Caldecote and Oakley to climb above The Sportsmen and Renhold United in the Bedfordshire League, writes Peter Francis.

Monday, 31st December 2012, 9:00 am

They moved into second place in the Premier Division supported by Sportsform by winning 2-1 at Shefford Town & Campton.

Luke Sharples put Town ahead in on 35 minutes before Chris Clark levelled matters for the home side just five minutes later to send the sides in at half-time all square at 1-1.

But David Drury’s 52nd-minute proved decisive, only for him to lose his hero status when he was red-carded five minutes from time.

However, Town held on to end a three-game losing run, while for the hosts it was their third consecutive home defeat as they dropped into the bottom half of the table following home wins for both Bedford Hatters and AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College.

Town lifted themselves to sixth place with a 5-2 victory over Sharnbrook, John Guiney netting three times alongside strikes from Martin Ivy and Fawad Javed, against replies from Tom King and Ben Singleton.

A single goal from Aaron Izzard saw The Hatters take over seventh spot and extend their unbeaten ways to five games with a 1-0 win over a Lidlington United Sports side that has now lost its last six away games as they have slid into the bottom three.

The day’s biggest winners were AFC Biggleswade, who claimed their fourth win on the bounce in a 9-1 home victory over bottom-of-the-table Bedford Sports Athletic, who fell to their eighth consecutive league defeat.

Sheldon Washington put AFC ahead in the third minute and led 6-0 at the break thanks to another goal from Washington plus strikes from Barrie Chamberlain, Josh Murray, Luke Gurney and Toby Hooton.

In the second period Hooton and Stewart Nicholls made it 8-0 before Carmine Defeo replied for the visitors, only for Washington to complete his hat-trick with the game’s final goal on 72 minutes.

Also falling victim to a waterlogged pitch was the game between Flitwick Town and Marston Shelton Rovers, referee Brian Cooper forced to call the game off just prior to kick-off following prolonged heavy rain in the previous 30 minutes.

The on game in Division Two saw leaders Goldington come from behind three times to salvage a point from a 4-4 draw at Queens Park Crescent, who ended a four-game losing streak to climb off the bottom of the league on goal difference at the expense of Meltis Albion.

Amman Hussain put the Crescents ahead on 12 minutes, only for Chris Huckle to level a minute later as the sides went into the break all square at 1-1.

The second period was just a minute old when Cameron Menil-Brown restored the lead for the home side, but four minutes later Michael Luke’s header made it 2-2.

Crescents appeared to be coasting to victory with goals from Shah Rahman (53) and Menil-Brown nine minutes later.

However, Goldington substitute Justin Muircroft netted twice inside a minute 10 minutes from time to level the scores and set up a grandstand finish.

There were red cards for Crescents’ Menil-Brown and Goldington’s Chris Hutchinson two minutes from time as the sides shared the spoils.

In Division Three, the scheduled game between Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves and Westoning Reserves was waterlogged off.

Meanwhile, in the first round of the Watson Shield, Division Four Marston Shelton Rovers Reserves made their way into the last 16 with a 4-3 home victory over Division Three side Royal Oak Kempston.

Ben Greenwood netted twice alongside strike from Jake Cullum and Harry Murray for Rovers against Oak replies from Lorenzo Jordan (2) and Robert Blackburn.