Bedford Town's title challenge goes right down to the wire

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Bedford Town took their title chase to the final day this weekend after a superb 2-0 away win at county rivals Leighton Town.

Two former Leighton players Leon Lobjoit and Kyle Connolly got the goals to send the league to a last weekend decider which looked unlikely when Bedford had a recent poor spell of results.

The Eagles are three points behind leaders Biggleswade but have a plus two better goal difference.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

This Saturday Bedford host 13th-placed North Leigh while Biggleswade are at home to fourth-placed Ware.

Leon Lobjoit celebrates his penalty success on Saturday. Photo by Adrian Brown.Leon Lobjoit celebrates his penalty success on Saturday. Photo by Adrian Brown.
Leon Lobjoit celebrates his penalty success on Saturday. Photo by Adrian Brown.

Manager Lee Birch said: “I couldn't ask any more from them. The noise that was coming into the group from outside was horrible a little while ago.

“But things changed and they have produced four great results on the spin.

“If you had said to me at the start of the year that we'd be taking it to thje last day of the season I'd have bitten your hand off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We have one more game to go and, if it doesn't pan out, what a great season we've had one way or the other.

“We will then just prepare for the play-offs.

“The fans have been fantastic, even when we were going through our bad patch, and we need them this week more than ever. They're definitely our 12th man.”

At Bedfordshire rivals Leighton Town, the Eagles got off to a good start and it only took 12 minutes for them to take the lead from a Leon Lobjoit penalty, which he converted against the club he had so much success with.

Leighton started to crank up the pressure and have a few chances afterwards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But this was nothing the Bedford defence and Mark Smith couldn’t handle which became a common theme throughout the day.

The Eagles created chances and Ryan Blake had the best of the lot which went just wide.

But the second half got off to a similar start to the first for the visitors as the ball fell to Connolly who, far from goal and at an angle, still managed to find the back of the net and double the advantage.

Leighton should have pulled one back in the 95th minute but Smith somehow kept the ball out and made what looked like an impossible save to keep himself a clean sheet.