Bedford Town slip to Marlow defeat

Bedford Town v Marlow PNL-141027-095422002
Bedford Town v Marlow PNL-141027-095422002
Share this article

Bedford came crashing down to earth with a bump on Saturday afternoon as they leaked four goals without reply against Marlow.

Only one of the five new signings snapped up by Craig Adams within the last week started, as Garry Malone replaced the now departed Lee Crockett in goal: and what a baptism of fire!

The visitors went in at the break with a 2-0 lead, and despite an uninspiring second half between the sides, Marlow popped in two more, with the fourth epitomising Bedford’s day.

From the start, though, there was no indication of the defeat to come. A couple of long Dan Burke throws inside the first 15 minutes put the visitors on the back foot. Both from the right, the first one bounced awkwardly in the Marlow area, but neither Tom Liversedge or Josh Winters could get good purchase on the ball.

It was half-cleared, but only to Tommy Glasscoe, on the edge of the area, and despite his low shot beating all in the area, the ball hit the foot of the right hand post and rebounded to safety.

The second Burke throw was helped on by Glasscoe deep into the area. Liversedge headed effort was saved by Oneal Garnes.

Marlow had a lucky break with the first goal, 30 minutes into the game. A diagonal cross was misjudged by Paul Cooper and Devontae Romeo took advantage to race the ball down the left to the byline. His cross into the goal area was met by Lee Barney, and the striker had the simplest of tasks to direct the ball past Malone.

The second goal came five minutes later when a ball in from the left caused chaos in the Bedford area, and with the ball refusing to drop to a reasonable level, Craig Scott managed to get in a hook shot that bypassed everyone to hit the back of the net.

Craig Adams brought in another signing for the 2nd half, with Claudio Dias replacing Glasscoe.

Early on, Tom Liversedge saw his header go over the bar.

Five minutes in, Josh Winter’s right wing cross found Burke at the far post. Instead of having a go, the Bedford captain played the ball deeper into the area for Liversedge, but the striker, on fire in the last two games, totally miskicked his effort. The Marlow defence made a hash of clearing and two defenders had to block Burke’s shot, as the ball bounced invitingly in front of him.

After this the game degenerated into a real scrappy affair, with a lot of long and high balls played by both sides.

Bedford couldn’t find a way through, and the game ended as a contest eight minutes before time, when a well placed pass split the defence. Lee Barney ran on, rounded the exposed Malone before slotting the ball into the net.

Three minutes into stoppage time the afternoon was summed up when a rare mistake from Jeff Woodward let in Marlow for a fourth. Woodward’s pass back to Malone fell woefully short, and Devontae Romeo scampered in, rounded Malone before stopping the ball on the line. If the midfielder thought about stooping to push the ball over the line with his head, this was quickly dispelled as he tapped it over the line.

Seconds after the restart, the final whistle was blown on an afternoon to forget.

Bedford are back in league action on Tuesday October 28, at the Eyrie, as Daventry Town come to town. 7.45pm kick off.

Eagles: Garry Malone, Paul Cooper (Greg Ling 70), Joe Hopewell, Josh McGoldrick, Jeff Woodward, Stuart Smeathers, Tom Glasscoe (Claudio Dias ht), Dan Burke [c], Tom Liversedge, Josh Winters (Scott Cross 70), Rob Parker.

Subs not used: Ollie Wilkinson, Sam Macrae.

Marlow: Oneal Garnes, Rhys Paul, Nathan Ashton, James Knight, Alex Salmon, Craig Scott [c], Devontae Romeo, Richie Whittingham (Lamin Sankoh 78), Lee Barney (Lewis Sinclair 84), Jamal Branker (Jordace Holder-Spooner 78), Jake Parrott.

Subs not used: Chris Ovenden, Simon Grant.

Referee: Mr Barry.

Assistants: Mr Mcfarlane & Mr Harris.

Attendance: 216.