Bedford sunk by the Ducks as Bell Close proves unlucky again

Aylesbury Utd (green) v Bedford Town. Shane Wood, Ayles, closely attended by Jeff Woodward
Aylesbury Utd (green) v Bedford Town. Shane Wood, Ayles, closely attended by Jeff Woodward

Even at this early stage in the season, Leighton Town Town’s Bell Close ground is proving somewhat of a bogey venue for Bedford Town as they suffered their second defeat.

Although Saturday’s game was away against Aylesbury United, Bell Close was the venue as Bedford were narrowly defeated 3-2.

Play was fairly scrappy early on, with neither side making real inroads.

Joe Hopewell and Rob Parker combined to set up Aaron King, coming up to the midway point of the half, but his volley flew over the bar.

Minutes later, King fired a 20-yard free-kick through the Aylesbury wall. Jack Sillitoe saw the ball late and could only parry it into the air. Scott Cross headed goalwards, but he was thwarted by the Ducks keeper.

With 35 minutes on the clock, Aylesbury took the lead against the run of play, as a long clearance was played to the edge of the area by Paul Edgeworth, and Steve Hatch drilled a low shot that beat Lee Crockett hands down.

Bedford certainly didn’t deserve to be trailing, and equalised with three minutes of the half remaining when Lee Grace brought down Parker in the area. Cross dispatched the resulting penalty.

Bedford should have gone into half-time drawing, but a minute into stoppage time Aylesbury restored their lead when a cross from Stacey Field found Hatch in the six-yard area and the midfielder tapped the ball home for his brace.

Bedford restored parity three minutes into the second half when Dan Burke performed fine sliding tackle on Field before sliding the ball forward for Tom Liversedge, who slotted it past Sillitoe.

Looking for a winner, Hatch was denied a hat-trick by Crockett, saving another long-range shot.

The decisive goal came in the 67th minute, as Field’s cross and Edgeworth’s attempt at goal fell at the feet of Shaun Owens, who scuffed the shot past Crockett.