Bedford brought back down to earth with a bump by Rugby Town

First for sports news
First for sports news

After the euphoria of the opening day win at the weekend, Bedford came down to earth with a bump after losing at Rugby Town on Tuesday evening.

Eagles boss Craig Adams made just one change to the line-up from Saturday, with Simon King coming in for Jordan Jarrold.

The opening minutes favoured Bedford, and in the 11th minute a great move that split the Rugby defence resulted in the opening goal.

Sam Macrae received a lovely diagonal cross from the left, before taking the ball down the right and crossing in for Tom Liversedge, now flanked by two defenders, to slot past Joe Mellings.

Play ebbed and flowed, with both defences playing vital roles in breaking down any attacks.

Midway through the half, though, Tom Glasscoe found space in the Rugby area for a clear shot at goal, and although the effort was good, Mellings dropped smartly to save.

From the clearance, Rugby countered, and thorn in the Bedford side over the years, David Kolodynski, wrong-footed Jeff Woodward inside the area, placed his shot, and saw Lee Crockett palm the ball away.

An error of a failed back pass gave Rugby a way back into the game after 39 minutes.

Paul Cooper did his best to stop the attack and handled in the process, just outside the area. Kolodynski touched the free-kick to Nathan Fox, whose shot deflected off the Bedford wall and past Crockett.

The Eagles should have regained the lead just two minutes into the second half. Neil King’s low free-kick beat the Rugby wall but not Mellings. Liversedge reacted, but Mellings was quick to smother the rebound.

From then on, the home side took a firm hold of the game. Kolodynski squandered two chances.

Firstly his header from a pass into the box should have at least hit the target, Then a gilt-edged chance, after looking suspiciously off-side, was presented to him. With just Crockett to beat, Kolodynski lobbed both the keeper and the bar.

The Bedford midfield – having looked so solid in the first half – just melted away.

Seb Lake-Gaskin’s shot, on 64 minutes, hit the post and bounced away, but three minutes later the same player gave Rugby the lead.

His strike from just inside the area was a bit too hot to handle and Crockett, in attempting to beat the ball over the bar, only succeeded in taking the sting out of the ball so it bounced into the net.

Crockett was in action a few minutes later when he tipped a long range shot from James Jepson over the bar.

Rugby increased the lead in the 76th minute when the defence didn’t defend a left hand cross properly. Kolodynski, at the far post, chested the ball down, and with time to pick his spot, struck the ball into the back of the net.

On Saturday, Simon King came on for Jordan Jarrold, and scored a couple of minutes later. For this game the roles were reversed. Jarrold replaced Simon King on 77 minutes, and two minutes later reduced the deficit.

Aaron King took a knock in passing the ball to Jarrold, but the pain wasn’t in vain as the recent substitute weighed up his chances and slotted a low shot past Mellings.

The comeback never came, although Jarrold was thwarted a few minutes later by Mellings.

Bedford are back in action this weekend, at home to Leighton Town on Saturday.