Advantage remains just a single point

SHEFFORD Town & Campton’s Premier Division lead remains a single point after both the leading championship contenders claimed wins away from home.

Monday, 11th April 2011, 4:37 pm

Shefford came from a goal down to record their ninth successive win by beating Dunton 3-1 at Dunton after Paul ‘Juicy’ Chamberlain put the hosts ahead after 20 minutes before Andrew Hayday levelled seven minutes later.

The new half was six minutes old when Hayday and then Michael Jones consigned Dunton to their first home defeat in six outings.

Things were also not easy for Blunham at bottom of the table Arlesey Town Reserves after Joe McCave gave the Blues a first half lead. His goal was cancelled out by Tim Gill in the second period before Matty McMahon popped up with a late winner and to leave Arlesey without a win from their last 12 games.

Wilshamstead look set fair to claim the converted third spot after goals from Kevin Butler and Chris Faulkner took them to a 2-0 away win at Flitwick Town. They are now seven points clear of fourth placed Caldecote whose four game winning away run was ended with a 7-0 thrashing at Sharnbrook.

Loz Lee and Andy Wood netting in the opening half before a brace from substitute Shaun Barnett plus strikes from Ollie Woodhouse, James Cornell and a Ben Singleton penalty completed the rout.

At the other end of the table Woburn claimed their first win in ten games to move out of the drop zone at the expense of the non-playing AFC Kempston Town. They also inflicted a first away defeat of the season on Renhold United with a 4-0 win. Ben Nichols, Martin Holland, Daniel McClaren and James McCarthy netted the goals.

Having lost their last five in the league, Leighton United returned to form with a 2-0 home win over Oakley Sports thanks to Robert Greenwood and Philip Matthews.

Division One

WITH leaders Potton Wanderers unable to fulfil their away fixture at FC Meppershall due to a stag weekend in Scotland, the subsequent loss of the three points now means Bedford Hatters are within five points of them with three games in hand after they retained their seasons 100 per cent home record with a 1-0 victory over third place Marston Shelton Rovers, Darek Jozwiak netting the only goal.

Another side failing to raise a side were Blunham Reserves so Bedford Sports Athletic duly collected the three points.

At the other end of the table there were wins for the bottom two sides. Luton Old Boys with two goals from Tyno Rusenya and a strike from Jack Jones were 3-2 home winners over Ickwell & Old Warden Reserves whose replies came from Lee Threadgold and Rob Gaylor.

Old Boys remain above AFC Kempston Town Reserves who al;so hada a 3-2 win against Henlow. Danny Bibby (two) and Alex Russell were Town’s scorers against Henlow replies from Pete Saunders and Gabs Follano.

There was a shock at Harvey Close where Sandy lost for the first time in six away games. They lost 5-1 to hosts Caldecote Reserves whose goals came from Jordan Goodman (two), an own goal and strikes from Spencer Melrose and Matt Basta with Ian Hammett the Sandy marksman.

Division Two

WITH leaders Elstow Abbey sitting the afternoon out, their lead was reduced to two points after Lea Sports PSG retained their season’s unbeaten home ways with a 2-0 win over Kings AFC. Paul Collins and Dion Brown netted the goals to seriously dent their opponents’ promotion hopes.

Westoning Recreation Club made it five wins on the bounce with a 3-2 victory over Bromham United. Scott Gadsden, Alex Barnwell and Dan Channon were the home marksmen against United replies from Paul Hubbard and Sam Jones.

Up into fourth are Lidlington United Sports with a 1-0 win at Marabese Ceramics thanks to Darren Simms. Meanwhile top Division Two scorers were Shefford Town & Campton Reserves. They beat Clifton 4-0 with goals from Tom Scurfield (two), Jordan Robbens and Sam Larsen.

Over at Mowsbury Park, the Queens Park Crescents versus Great Barford match was abandoned just after an hour mark by referee Rodney Campbell following the double sending off of Barford’s John Prior and Shane Wheatley.

At the time Crescents were 2-1 up with goals from Fabio Satter and Nathan Larrier against a reply from Adam Dunville. The game is now be subject of a Beds FA inquiry along with the performance of referee Mr Campbell as it was the fourth game that he has curtailed early inside the last month!

Elsewhere Stevington and Stopsley Park shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw with Darren King and Lawrence Bentham being the home scorers.

Division Three

SHARNBROOK are six points clear in Division Three following a 4-1 win at Caldecote ‘A’. Two goals from veteran Kevin ‘Itchy’ Harris and strikes from Ryan Massey and Jayme Harris did the damage, the reply from Ross Taylor.

Pavenham, who have three games in hand on Sharnbrook, were beaten for the first time this season. They lost 2-0 at home to Cranfield United Reserves whose goals came from Richard Simpson and Josh Whetlor.

Still very much in the promotion mix are Co-op Sports with a 5-1 victory over Royal Oak Kempston thanks to Chris Vardy bagging four and Kris Fox once against a lone reply from Lorenzo Jordan.

M & DH Oakley’s promotion hopes took a big knock when their six game unbeaten home run was ended by visitors Dunton Reserves. They lost 2-0 after goals from Liam Brophy and Joe Lewis.

There were plenty of goals at Gold Street where hosts Riseley Sports were beaten 4-3 by Westoning Recreation Club Reserves. Liam Boyle bagged a hat-trick while Robert Barnard was also on the scoresheet for the Rec Boys against home replies from Paul Brown, Dan Ellison and James Law.

Wilshamstead Reserves and Renhold Village shared a 3-3 draw after Colin Merritt (two) and Harry Baker were on target for the hosts and Carl Townsend, Marko Tobdzie and Michael Luke for the visitors.

Also finishing all level at 2-2 were Flitwick Town Reserves and Shefford Town & Campton ‘A’ after Town goals from Harry Rowlands and Ryan Short and awaty goals from Sean Francis and Kieran Best.

Division Four

AFC Turvey got within five points of the Division Four crown with a 9-1 win at Goldington Hammers. It was their 20th league win on the bounce. Salmir Guri netted a hat-trick, John Guiney and Andrew Wren scored two apiece while there were also strikes from Mark Allen and Daniel Bailey. the reply from Michael Stafford.

But second place Goldington haven’t given up the chase. They won 2-1 at Clifton Reserves thanks to Chris Huckle and Jonathan Hutchison, the reply from Michael King.

Eastcotts had their promotion hopes dented with a 3-2 defeat at home to fellow oromotion seekers Dinamo Flitwick. Dale Goldie, Alex Sommers and Barrie Lee Hannam were on the winners scoresheet for Dinamo against replies from Michael Sexton and Matthew Walsh.

Still in that promotion mix are Potton Town and Thurleigh who both claimed away wins. The Town, with goals from Chris Cooper and Sam King against a home reply from David Harris, won 2-1 at Sandy whike strikes from Stefan Wilson, Ben Stock and Steve Pledge against a home reply from Shaun Finlay took Thurleigh to a 3-1 win at Bedford Park Rangers.

Life gets no better for bottom of the table Wootton Village. They were beaten 2-0 at Lea Sports PSG Reserves who had Callum Jones and Marko Failla on the scoresheet. Fellow strugglers Kempston Athletic were beaten 5-1 at Stewartby Village after Tom Wheelhouse bagged a brace along with goals from Kyle Smith, James Churchman and Ben Sparks, the Athletic replying through Dee Sayid.