A holidaymaker has been left red-faced and potentially scarred for life - by a henna tattoo MOUSTACHE.
Arran Maye, 28, had an allergic reaction to the ‘temporary’ tattoo he got on his FACE in Benidorm - and doctors in intensive care warned he could need a skin graft.
The plumber and his mate Adam Lewis, 29, both got the £9 inkings as part of their ‘Mexican’ themed fancy dress night out.
And while Adam’s faded in a few days, Arran’s face immediately started to tingle before his face swelled up and he was left with puss dripping from the inking.
He rushed to hospital from the airport after the extreme allergic reaction caused his airways to narrow, and he ended up in intensive care.
Gutted Arran is in recovery but had to go back to work with his new facial decoration.
Daft Arran, from Leicester, said: “I’ve managed to see the funny side of it. I mean, what choice do I have?
“I look a right idiot though.
“I’ve had one before years ago and it was fine but I guess that wasn’t on my face.
“It was fine at first but then it got tingly, the next day it was blistering and pussing and by Sunday my face was a balloon.
“The doctors said 100 per cent you’re going to have a scar for six months.
“It will be exactly in the outline of a moustache.
“They did mention a skin graft and that it might be permanent. I was trying not to hear it to be honest.”
Arran and Adam were on a six-day break to fancy dress festival Benidorm Fiesta on November 14 with 20 mates.
Three days in, after a couple of pints, the pair paid 10 euros each for matching henna curly moustache tattoos which took “about a minute”.
“We’d only had a few pints as it was 2pm so we still had half our senses - or should have anyway,” said Arran.
They claim the ‘artist’ in the shop told them it would wash off naturally in a couple of days - or could be cleaned off instantly with nail varnish remover.
“Stupidly we believed him,” said Arran. “We thought it would be a good laugh for our costume that night.”
Single Arran said it started to tingle slightly in a matter of minutes but when he woke up the next day his face was swollen and blistered.
He still went out that night - dressed up again as a ‘Mexican’ after he couldn’t remove the tattoo - but the next day his blisters were bursting and pussing (Sun).
He added: “It was like my face was trying to push out the henna.
“The pus was pouring out and my face was huge and it was so painful. I was in agony.”
He tried a number of home remedies - including toothpaste, olive oil and salt - and visited three pharmacies for tablets, creams and soaps.
They dashed to the airport and boarded a plane but Arran’s allergy to PPD - the chemical in henna - got worse and his airways started to narrow onboard, he claims.
“Twenty minutes from landing my airways were closing up. I had to just try and relax.
“When we landed they tried to rush us through but when I got to passport control the guy was being funny about letting us through.
“My picture is really old anyway, but of course with your face it like a balloon with a moustache it doesn’t help.”
Pals drove him from Luton to their local hospital Leicester Royal Infirmary where he was rushed into intensive care, given a breathing mask and stayed for two nights.
Medics reduced the swelling with medicine, and consulted a plastic surgeon who warned the scarring could be permanent.
Arran, who still has a red burn shape in the perfect shape of his tattoo, said he tried wearing a balaclava-type face cover but was “getting funny looks”.
“Work think I’m a numpty,” he said.
“The hospital staff were great. They did laugh - after I stopped turning blue.”
Medical experts have pointed out that the substance painted on Arran’s face was illegal ‘black henna’ which while colloquially known as ‘henna’ is a different substance which contains chemical PPD.
Henna is a natural and legal substance that doesn’t cause allergic reactions and doesn’t contain PPD.