Two men have been hospitalised and treated for burns after a major fire broke out at a recycling centre.
They were injured when a shredding machine and waste containers caught light at B&W Waste Management, Thurleigh Road, Milton Ernest, yesterday afternoon (July 12).
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from across the county were called to the site at 2.54pm, along with the ambulance service.
When the first three fire appliances arrived just seven minutes later they found a waste storage and processing building alight and called for back-up.
Five fire appliances and the Bedford Aerial Platform were engaged in containing and extinguishing the fire. They were supported by a water carrier and the hazardous materials team from Stopsley. Due to the need to rotate crews firefighters from Bedford, Kempston, Luton, Stopsley, Shefford, Potton and Leighton Buzzard have all been in attendance at the incident.
Station Commander Mark Barter was in attendance at the scene and said: “Crews from several stations worked closely together to rapidly bring the fire under control and to prevent it spreading to the whole of the facility.”
The fire was in a large skip which was dragged outside so the fire could be contained and Firefighters rapidly brought the fire under control and extinguished it.
Because of the nature of the waste involved the BFRS haz-mat team were sent to the site but there was no risk to those living around the site.
During the incident ten sets of breathing apparatus were used by crews to protect themselves from fumes.
They used two jets and a fire hose to put the fire out and it left the building heavily smoke logged.
By 5.30pm most appliances had left the scene and a Fire Investigation was underway.