A fire which threatened a block of flats may have been started deliberately, according to the fire service.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service extinguished the blaze in a bin room of an apartment block by the Nazur Restaurant, off Bedford High Street, in the early hours of Friday morning (December 4).
Fire Control received a call at about 1am about a fire in Phoenix Chambers. When firefighters from Bedford and Kempston Community Fire Stations arrived seven minutes later they found a fire in the ground floor bin room of the three storey building by the restaurant.
Wearing breathing apparatus to protect themselves from smoke and fumes, firefighters fought the blaze using two fire hoses and a covering jet.
By 1.27am the fire was extinguished and firefighters stayed at the scene to damp down the embers and clear smoke from the building using positive pressure ventilation.
There were no casualties and the incident was closed at 2.08am.
It is thought the fire could have been started deliberately and a fire investigation is underway. The results of this will be passed to the Police to assist them with their investigation.