A pub has been fined more than £15,000 after pleading guilty to breaking Food Safety and Hygiene rules.
Clint Rogers, of The Woolpack, in Wilstead, was given the fine after Bedford Borough Council Environmental Health Officers inspected the pub in February 2014 and identified safety issues that posed a potential risk to the public.
Officers identified the Woolpack had unfit food on the premises, poor standards of food hygiene and cleanliness and was failing to implement an effective food safety management system.
Due to the serious nature of the identified hazards and failure of the pub to alter its approach when serving food despite previous interventions by officers, formal proceedings were instigated.
Pleading guilty at Luton Magistrates Court on February 24, Mr Rogers was fined £15,000 and ordered to pay costs to the council of £532 and a victim surcharge of £120.
During the case, despite works having been carried out by the pub to rectify the issues, the magistrates felt the violations witnessed during the inspection were extreme examples of food hygiene offences and a firm line needed to be taken.
Portfolio holder for community safety and regulatory services Councillor Sarah-Jayne Holland said: “I would urge members of the public to check the Food Hygiene Rating of local eateries via the Borough Council’s website www.bedford.gov.uk and to make informed choices about where they choose to eat.”