Police shoot man dead after concern for safety call in nearby St Neots

Police have shot a man dead in St Neots
Police have shot a man dead in St Neots

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has launched an independent investigation into the shooting of a man by a firearms officer in nearby St Neots.

The force control room was called at 7.45pm yesterday (October 21) with a report of concern for people in a property in Duck Lane, St Neots - which is not far from Biggleswade and Bedford.

Officers attended the scene and at just after 8pm a man was shot by a firearms officer. The man died at the scene.

No one else was injured in the incident.

An IPCC spokesman added: “The man’s next of kin have been informed of his death and the area will remain cordoned off for some time whilst IPCC investigators undertake the scene management process.

“The investigation is in the very early stages and we are unable to provide further details at this time.”

Neighbours described hearing two or three loud bangs, which they initially thought were fireworks or television sound effects. Some said they heard raised voices shortly before.

One woman, who knew the family who lived at the terraced house, said that a man and woman with three teenage children lived there.

She added: “Our kids used to play with their’s, they were a nice family.

“There was never any trouble at that house, unlike some around here.

“They just seemed like a nice, normal family so I can’t think what happened. It’s terrible.”

Mary Bath, 65, said her husband rushed outside after hearing the commotion but police told him to go back inside for his own safety.

She added: “I knew the couple from seeing them around and they seemed nice.

“We heard the bangs and joked it sounded like gunfire. Suddenly there were police everywhere and we realised it was serious.

“It’s an awful thing to happen and we’re all very upset.”

A mandatory referral has been made to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.