Young nurse died after being thrown from motorcycle in Bedfordshire crash

A 29-year-old nurse died after being thrown from her motorcycle in a crash near Kempston, an inquest concluded.

Wednesday, 10th March 2021, 4:55 pm

Bike lover Chelsea Hobbs, of Canvey Island, was heading south west on Woburn Road towards the junction with Manor Road, just leaving the A421 roundabout, when the single vehicle accident occurred on Sunday, September 20, last year.

She was travelling third place in a convoy with three other bikers.

A full investigation was carried out at the time by Bedfordshire Police's Serious Collision Unit.

The inquest was held at Ampthill Coroner's Court

An inquest at Ampthill Coroner's Court heard that at around 10.51am on September 20, for reasons unknown Miss Hobbs braked heavily while approaching the junction with Manor Road, causing the bike to flip forward and upside down.

Bedfordshire assistant coroner Amy Street said: "During that moment, she was thrown from the vehicle."

Both the vehicle and rider skidded on the road surface for about 35 metres until stopping.

Miss Hobbs suffered a traumatic brain injury and was airlifted to Bedford Hospital before being transferred to Addenbrooke's Hospital.

Sadly, she died at 6.35pm that day.

An investigation by Bedfordshire Police's serious collision investigation unit found there were no issues with the road layout or weather, which was described as "fine and dry".

In addition, no mechanical faults were found with the bike - which was estimated to have been moving at between 35 and 45 miles per hour as it skidded along the road before stopping.

The speed limit on the road was the national speed limit, which is 60 miles per hour for motorcycles.

The coroner said: "The circumstances of the collision are that significant deceleration occurred, but there is insufficient evidence to say what the speed was before braking.

"However there is no evidence provided as to what caused Miss Hobbs to brake so heavily.

"As far as is known, Miss Hobbs was fit and not suffering from any medical condition."

Miss Hobbs' partner Christopher Green asked: "I just want to know why she didn't go directly to Addenbrooke's Hospital?

"She had breathing difficulties at the scene. Why didn't she go directly to the trauma centre?"

The coroner replied that she did not have that information in front of her, but that it could be obtained for Mr Green and Miss Hobbs' mother following the inquest.

After outlining the circumstances of the crash, Ms Street stated: "My conclusion is a road traffic collision.

"I'd like to give my condolences to Chelsea's family members and Mr Green."