Three people trapped were rescued by firefighters after being trapped by a roof fire in Bedford last night. (Wed)
The blaze broke out in a building under renovation in Harpur Street, trapping three workers on the top of the office block.
Fire Control at Bedfords Fire & rescue received a call about smoke coming from the building at 5.32pm and sent four fire engines and the Bedford Aerial Platform to the scene.
When firefighters from Kempston Community Fire Station arrived just five minutes later they found smoke pouring from the roof of the building and three people on the roof.
Firefighters used the aerial platform to rescue the three people trapped on the top of the building and one man, thought to be in his 30s, was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters continued to fight the blaze for some time wearing breathing apparatus to protect themselves from the fumes and using fires hoses and covering jets, finally putting it out after 7pm. The fire left 50% of the roof More More than 30 officers and firefighters were involved in the incident including full-time crews from Kempston and Bedford and on-call Firefighters from Kempston and Ampthill.
Ian McLaren, Borough Command North,said: “The prompt actions by the first crews on the scene help save the lives of the three people trapped on the roof and save the rest of the building from the fire. Our fighting of the fire was hampered by the high winds and made more difficult by the fact it was on the third floor of the building. I’d like to congratulate all the Firefighters for doing such an excellent job to save lives and protect property this evening.”