Staff praised for quick action after fire breaks out at Bedford care home

Firefirghters were called to a Bedford care home after a blaze broke out in a ground floor laundry room.

Monday, 30th December 2019, 4:04 pm
Updated Tuesday, 31st December 2019, 10:04 am

Crews from Bedford, Kempston and Sandy attended the blaze which happened at Waterloo House on Christmas Eve morning.

Care home staff and firefighters evacuated 13 residents from the home in Waterloo Road but were able to keep a further 11 in their bedrooms due to "robust safety precautions" at the home.

Chief fire officer Paul Fuller praised care home staff and fire crews for their prompt action - and said without the fire doors the damage could have been much worse.

The damage to the laundry room (Beds Fire & Rescue)

He said: "Having attended the care home this morning, I was able to speak to some of the firefighters who tackled the fire and staff from the care home about their experience.

"This incident is a great example of how our firefighters and fire safety inspectors work closely together with building officers and their staff, utilising the 'stay put' policy to keep people safe from fire."

He added: "It was apparent this care home was well managed, with effective fire safety precautions that quickly alerted staff to the fire and protected the occupants whilst our firefighters tackled it.

"I was impressed by their prompt and decisive firefighting actions - but I'd also like to pay tribute to the care home staff who, once the alarm was raised, followed well-rehearsed procedures, instigating the 'stay put' policy and working with firefighters to keep their residents safe from harm."

The damage to the laundry room (Beds Fire & Rescue)

Two people were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.