Huge blaze at Twinwoods Business Park was NOT started deliberately, say fire service

A huge blaze which completely destroyed three buildings in Twinwoods Business Park is NOT believed to have been started deliberately, fire investigators reveal.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called after the blaze engulfed a polystyrene factory at the business Park in Milton Ernest, on Friday afternoon.

Emergency services worked through the night to tackle the fire, which spread to three buildings, completely destroying them.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

At the height of the blaze there were more than 60 firefighters at the scene, including crews from Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, and Oxfordshire.

The aftermath of the blaze. Credit: Beds Fire and RescueThe aftermath of the blaze. Credit: Beds Fire and Rescue
The aftermath of the blaze. Credit: Beds Fire and Rescue

Water was pumped to the site from the River Ouse more than a mile away.

Around 30 firefighters remained at Twinwood Business Park until the fire was fully extinguished on Monday morning, when the site was reopened.

No-one was injured in the incident.

Group commander Andy Draper, part of the fire investigation team, said: “The fire has now been completely extinguished and we visited the site to start the fire investigation process.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"We do not believe the first has been started deliberately and will now be carrying out further investigations, working both with the insurers and the companies affected.

“The business park has now been completely re-opened along with the surrounding roads, and I’d like to thank the public for their patience during this protracted incident.

"I’d also like to thank everyone involved in managing this incident, especially those who travelled from neighbouring fire and rescue services to assist us.”

Police closed a number of roads in the area while firefighter dealt with the incident, including the A6 at Milton Ernest.

Eyewitnesses spotted 100ft flames from more than five miles away in Stevington.

One said: "We can see small explosions and it seemed it looked like was spreading.”