The owners of a Grade II listed barn with a long planning history have been given the green light to transform it into a plush three bedroom house.
Planning consultants Barford & Co has secured planning permission and listed building consent, on behalf of the owners, for works to Threshing Barn at Duck Egg Farm in Wilstead.
The timber-framed barn, dating back to around 1800, is part of a group of buildings that were the subject of development proposals in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Back then council chiefs approved the conversion of some of the buildings but the Threshing Barn had to be restored and retained in agricultural use.
In the late 1990s further proposals to convert the barn to a home were made but were refused and dismissed by a government planning inspector at appeal.
With the barn falling into disrepair, discussions for the conversion of the old building into an office began in 2013.
Due to concerns being raised about the traffic this would generate, proposals for a residential conversion were drawn up and the planning application was submitted in January.
Despite concerns from neighbours and issues with protected species and building conservation, the planning team at Barford & Co were able to demonstrate to the council that the proposed conversion was sympathetic to this historic building.
This gained the support of officers and the application has now been approved by the Bedford Borough Council planning committee.
Senior planner Ned Fox said: “Having previously been refused permission at appeal the outlook for this vacant barn was bleak, but the scheme now approved will breathe new life back into this nationally significant building and demonstrates our ability to navigate successfully through the challenges of property development.”
The conversion will provide a substantial family home with three en-suite bedrooms, a double garage and a separate home office.
The owners now plan to market the barn through Barford & Co with the planning permission attached.
>Duck End Farm was originally part of the Haynes Estate, which included the Manor of Wilshamstead. The estate was owned by the Lords Carteret until the title became extinct at which point the family reverted to their original surname of Thynne and continued to hold the estate. The estate was put up for sale by auction in over two hundred lots in July 1914.