Family's tribute to a loving son

A family has paid tribute to a man who died in a traffic accident on his way home from a night out.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 6:52 am

Julie Eaton described her son Michael as: “a friendly, happy bloke,” with a wide group of friends.

Michael, aged 29, died as he walked home along Potton Road on February 7.

At his funeral, held in Bury St Edmunds on March 3, his mother said she was gratified so many of his friends came to the service.

“I always knew he was kind to me but I didn’t realise how many others he touched until this happened,” she said.

Michael was born in Stanstead, Essex, but moved to Bedfordshire when he was 21 after his mother moved here.

The keen microlight pilot and skydiver was living in Gamlingay and worked as a supervisor at the Co-Op in Potton.

“He was young, free and single, said his mum. “He spent a lot of time with his friends and his family. He always looked out for me and was very protective.”

He flew microlights from the Little Gransden Flying Club and frequently went skydiving in March in Cambridgeshire.

According to his family Michael had a lovely smile and when he’d been skydiving or flying a plane his smile would absolutely light up a room. 

“Michael had a real thirst for knowledge and was interested in most subjects.

“He loved the outdoors and would camp in any weather conditions. He loved going out walking in the rain. He loved animals and would spend hours playing with a dog or cuddling a cat. He used to have a dog, cats and a rat who he loved very much.  Michael was a vegetarian due to his love of animals.” 

Mrs Eaton, who now lives in Mildenhall in Suffolk, was on holiday in Antigua when a friend called to say there had been an accident. She got the first available flight home.

“He was a great son, it’s broken my heart,” she said. “I loved being in his company, he made me laugh and I miss himdreadfully.”

Michael leaves his parents Julie and Michael, older brother and sister Simon and Levette and nephews and a niece.

Beds Police are investigting the incident and witnesses are asked to call 101.