Brave teachers saved a four-year-old boy from choking to death at a Bedford School.
Teachers Idi Diallo, Julia Smith, Jo Kearney, and Rachel Mellor immediately sprung into action when they realised the young pupil was in trouble.
The teacher trio at Castle Newnham School rang the emergency services who gave them advice to dislodge the food from the boy’s throat.
Idi, who called 999, said: “It was a really scary situation but the advice given over the phone was calming and reassuring, which is just what we needed at the time.”
Paramedics Steven Langridge, Jonathan Rhodes, and student paramedics George Bridewell and Sarah Simpson arrived and provided expert medical care to the young boy.
He was taken to Bedford Hospital where he went on to make a good recovery before being sent home.
On Monday (February 27) the lifesaving teachers were awarded with commendations from the East of England Ambulance Service for their efforts.
Julia said: “It’s lovely to be recognised for what we did, but all that matters is that the young boy is alive now.
“At the time you don’t think of ‘what if’, but it could well have been a different outcome had the ambulance staff not arrived as quickly as they did.”
Speaking after the meet up, EEAST paramedic Steven said: “It was fantastic to see him doing so well, just being able to be a young boy enjoying himself at school again, it was very heart warming.”
The boy returned to school shortly after the incident in January and has made a full recovery.