Bedfordshire firefighters warn residents about dangers of field fires

editorial image

Bedfordshire firefighters have been dealing with a number of field fires over the last few days due to the recent hot weather.

On Monday (August 15) a field fire near Tempsford Road, Sandy destroyed approximately 400 square meters of stubble and an electricity pylon.

It is thought it may have been caused by a bird of prey alighting on the live wires of the pylon.

On Friday (August 12) Firefighters were called to a fire near Edlesborough at 4.06pm and when crews from Dunstable, Leighton Buzzard and Toddington arrived they found a large field well alight.

Using hose reels, a high pressure lance and beaters and wearing breathing apparatus to protect themselves against smoke they fought the fire which was under control and out by 5pm.

During the incident a combine harvester parked on the field was caught up in the fire and severely damaged.

Field fires have occurred around the county in the last few days and there have also been several bonfires which have gotten out of control.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are asking people to take extra care in the countryside and with bonfires and barbeques and take these simple precautions:

- Avoid using open fires or BBQs in the countryside

- Take glass bottles and jars home, don’t leave them where sunlight shining through them could start fires

- Extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials properly

- Never throw cigarette ends out of car windows

- Only use BBQs in suitable and safe areas and never leave them unattended

- Ensure that your barbecue is fully extinguished and cold before disposing of the contents

- Ensure the BBQ is on a flat site, well away from a shed, trees, shrubs or fencing.

- Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby for emergencies.

- Do not dispose of hot coals and ashes in bins.

- If you see smoke call 999 immediately