Do you know how to stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning?

Fire safety officers are taking part in a new campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO).

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 20th November 2012, 3:00 pm

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service (BFRS) is urging local residents to take 10 minutes to learn about the symptoms of CO poisoning, and to think about steps they could take in their home to avoid becoming a casualty.

NHS statistics suggest that 50 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK every year, and 200 people are left seriously ill.

A headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning.

Other symptoms include:

Dizziness and nausea (feeling sick);

Vomiting (being sick);

Tiredness and confusion;

Stomach pain;

Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.

Thomas Warner, area community safety officer with BFRS, said: “The best thing that people can do is to make sure that their gas boiler and other appliances are properly serviced each year, by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

“CO alarms can also be bought for as little as £25, and will alert you of any CO leaks before you start to feel the effects. They are different from most smoke alarms.”

Four top Tips for staying safe from CO:

1/ Install a CO alarm; these can be purchased for as little as £25

2/ Make sure your gas boiler and appliances are serviced every year by a Gas Safe Register engineer

3/ Make sure you chimneys is swept by are swept regularly by a qualified sweep who is a member of the National Association of Chimney Sweeps (NACS), the Guild of Master Sweeps (GMS), or the Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps (APICS)

4/ Download the CO Awareness Smartphone App from www.covictim.org/tiki-index.php?page=appdownload