Following the wettest January for almost 250 years, we have never been in more need of a decent does of vitamin D to brighten our day – we’ve almost forgotten what it feels like to be warm, to enjoy lunch outdoors and to need shades more than a brolly!
Here in the UK right now, the concept of al fresco living seems a million miles away yet, just a couple of flying hours away, our Mediterranean neighbours are soaking up the sun and breathing in the clean warm air of the great outdoors – and it feels good! So, relaxed activity specialist, Headwater has come up with their all-time favourite Easter Escapes to tempt customers this spring.
From rural retreats to coastal views, and from mountain villages to country stays, Headwater’s hand-picked range of Easter Escapes offer the perfect blend of gentle activity by day, with zero compromises to creature comforts in the evening – top end hotels, fine food and wines, interest-packed routes: guaranteed!
Spain: Contrasts of Catalunya Cycling
Here are the top 25 books we take on holiday for our summer reads
10 things to do in Bedford this Bank Holiday weekend
Lorraine Silver brings classic Northern Soul
What if your teenager doesn't come home after a night out? TM Logan's The Curfew is every parents nightmare
Damian in the dark about his big role
Packed with contrasts and variety, this easy - and virtually traffic-free - 6-night cycling tour takes in the unspoilt Catalan coast Highlights en route include wide sandy beaches, traditional fishing ports and sun-drenched villages off the tourist trail. Evenings are spent in hand-picked, up-market hotels - including 2 nights in a luxuriously restored C14 gothic castle - and all have panoramic swimming pools.
- 6-night hotel-to-hotel self-guided cycling holiday; bags moved for you
- Departs every two days from 13 Apr 2014 to 20 Oct 2014
- Continental breakfast and 4 evening meals included
- High quality bikes, meticulous maps and detailed route notes provided
- Easter departure 17 Apr from £1238 per person (tour only)/ £1407 (including return BA flights Heathrow-Barcelona).
Spain: Walking the Camino de Santiago
This is one of Europe’s classic walks following one of the most ancient pilgrimage routes in the world - so, what better time to “do” it than at Easter! There’s a real sense of camaraderie and achievement as you chat to fellow walkers from all parts of the globe, and sharing in a 1000-year old sense of achievement will stay in your memory forever. Surprisingly good hotels too include converted water mills, restored parish houses and family-owned stylish farmhouses.
- 10 nights, hotel-to-hotel self guided walking along linear route - bags moved for you
- Departs Saturdays from 5 Apr 2014 to 11 Oct 2014
- Includes buffet breakfast and 8 evening meals
- Meticulous maps and detailed route notes also provided
- Easter departure 19 April from £1158 per person (tour only)/ £1419 (including return Iberia flights Heathrow-Madrid).
Italy: Amalfi to Sorrento Walk
There are few places in Italy as stunning as the Amalfi Coast with its emerald seas, plunging gorges and pastel villages clinging vertiginously to the vertical hillsides. The walking here ranks amongst the finest in Europe too with ancient trails passing through lemon groves, olives and vines. Headwater’s route follows the coast from elegant Amalfi to chic Sorrento, taking in en route panoramic Positano and (optional) Capri. “Pearl of Naples” and arguably the most beautiful island in the Med.
- 8 nights, hotel-to-hotel self guided walking itinerary; bags moved for you
- Departs selected Sundays/Mondays from 6 Apr 2014 to 12 Oct 2014
- Includes continental breakfast and 4 evening meals
- Meticulous maps and detailed route notes also provided
- Easter departure April 20 from £1218 per person (tour only)/ £1448 (including return BA flights Gatwick-Naples).
Italy: Cycling in Puglia
Firmly tucked away in the South, Puglia is a beautifully unspoilt, sun-soaked region of deserted white sand beaches,colourful fishing villages and gently rolling hills backing the clear emerald seas of the Adriatic. Highlights include UNESCO Alberobello (where you spend 2 nights in an authentic “trulli” house) and whitewashed Ostuni. Swimming possibilities most days.
- 7 nights, hotel-to-hotel self guided cycling itinerary - bags moved for you
- Departs selected Wednesdays/Saturdays from 2 April 2014 to 18 Oct 2014
- Continental breakfast and 5 evening meals included
- High quality bikes, meticulous maps amd detailed route notes also provided
- Easter departure April 14 from £1127 per person (tour only)/ £1349 (including return AlItalia flights Heathrow-Bari).
Portugal: Contrasts of the Western Coast Cycling
This luxury 8-night cycling tour loops west from the countryside to the Atlantic coast, taking in verdant valleys, stunning lagoons, lush forests and wild deserted beaches. There’s masses of historic interest too on this interest-packed route: hilltop castles, ancient lighthouses, UNESCO monasteries and the beautifully preserved mediaeval town of Obidos where the cycling trip ends. Guests then have the option to extend their stay with extra nights in cosmopolitan capital, Lisbon.
· - 8 nights, hotel-to-hotel self guided cycling itinerary - bags moved for you
· - Departs selected Sundays from 6 Apr 2014 to 12 Oct 2014
· - Continental breakfast and 1 evening meal included
· - High quality bikes, meticulous maps and detailed route notes also provided
- Easter departure April 20 from £1237 per person (tour only)/ £1408 (including return BA flights Heathrow-Lisbon)
Gozo: Walking on Calypso’s Isle
Based at the exclusive 5-star Ta Cenc Hotel, the tiny Mediterranean island of Gozo is blessed with a temperate, year-round climate making it perfect for exploring on foot! There are masses of walking choices - taking in secluded beaches, unspoilt ports, Arabic-style honey-coloured houses - even red GPO phone boxes and ‘Dixon of Dock Green’ police stations! In spring, walkers can really appreciate too the exotic Mediterranean flora: lemons, peaches, figs and poppies.
- 7 nights, single centre hotel offering masses of walking routes and flexibility
- Departs selected dates from 20 Feb t2014 o 23 May 2015
- Buffet breakfast and evening meals included
- Waslking route notes and meticulous maps also provided
- Easter departure April 19 from £929 per person (tour only)/ £1249 (including return Air Malta flights Heathrow-Malta).
For bookings and further information, please call Headwater 0845 322 4672 or email [email protected]