Nadine reflects on ‘the scariest thing I’ve done in my life’

MID Beds MP Nadine Dorries says she is glad to have survived her appearance on the satirical BBC quiz show Have I Got News For You.

Monday, 14th May 2012, 5:38 pm

The MP, appeared on the show on Friday night alongside regulars Ian Hislop and Paul Merton, plus American comedian Reginald D Hunter and guest presenter Alexander Armstrong.

She said she had kept her appearance on the show a secret from her researcher until the last minute, as “MPs normally get destroyed”.

She was grilled on her recent “arrogant posh boys” criticism of David Cameron and George Osborne, and described herself as being at the ‘UKIP-y’ end of the Conservative scale.

She told BedfordToday that recording the show had been “terrifying, the scariest thing I’ve done in my life”.

“I watched the longer version on Sunday night and that was scary,” she said.

“But I’ve had lots of supportive texts and emails saying I did more than just survive, so I regard that as a bit of a success.”

A post-filming comment about fellow guest Mr Hunter – whose material often focuses on race issues – caused some controversy on social networking site Twitter on Friday.

Miss Dorries was accused of racism after tweeting: “I have now left the HIGNFY after party. As I looked over my shoulder, Reginald D Hunter was talking to my daughter.#wheresmyshotgunman”

But the MP said the accusations were “ridiculous”.

“These people need to get a life,” she said.

“It’s a joke, and anyone who thinks anyone else clearly doesn’t know anything about Reginald. He takes the mickey out of British culture.

“The production crew had warned me he was a real ladies’ man and then I turned round and saw him talking to my daughter.”