Spate of kitchen fires sparks cooking advice

Fire destroys a kitchen

Fire destroys a kitchen

1
Have your say

Home chefs are urged to take care in the kitchen after a spate of fires broke out across the county.

One woman had to be rescued from her Woburn Sands apartment after she left a pan on the hob in early on Sunday (June 26).

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue was called to Greensand View after the blaze broke out in the kitchen at 5.52am.

Wearing breathing apparatus they pulled the woman, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, from the flat and extinguished the fire with a fire hose.

It was one of several kitchen fires over the weekend across the county.

At 12.17pm on Saturday (June 25) firefighters from Kempston and Bedford were sent to a kitchen fire in Grange Lane, Cople, after a smoke alarm activated. When they arrived ten minutes later they found that this had also been caused by cooking and was out on arrival. They used positive pressure ventilation to clear smoke from the property.

There were also two kitchen fires in Luton, and one in Leighton Buzzard.

A spokesman said: “Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service are urging people not to leave cooking unattended, to turn off the hob when finished cooking or leaving the room, not to cook after drinking and to fit a smoke alarm to alert occupants if a fire breaks out.

If you have an extractor fan please clean this regularly to prevent grease and other flammable material building up which can catch fire. If you have a smoke alarm please test it to ensure it is still working.”

For more cooking safety advice visit http://tinyurl.com/fireadvice