Smoke detector fitted by firefighters helps save family in Bedfordshire

editorial image

A smoke alarm alerted a family to a kitchen fire in their home yesterday morning.

The fire had been caused by a young child placing a plastic plate onto a ceramic hob which was still hot.

Despite the dangerous smoke and fumes, the family only realised there was a fire when a smoke detector went off in the downstairs hallway of their home in Marriots Close, Felmersham.

The detector had only recently been fitted by the on-call fire crew from Harrold Community Fire Station while carrying out home safety checks.

Firefighters used positive Pressure Ventilation to clear the fumes from the property.

Watch Commander Dick Litson of Bedford Red Watch said: “There were three young children in the house together with their parents and sound of the detector activating allowed them time to evacuate to next door and call us.

“Fortunately the fire was only small but it generated a great deal of acrid smoke from the melting plastic. We gave them advice for the future to cover the ceramic surface with a glass chopping board type cover to protect it while the ceramic was cooling down as it will still generate plenty of heat even when switched off.

“This is another incident that shows that having a working smoke alarm will help protect your family and home. I would urge anyone without a smoke alarm to get one and if you have a smoke alarm to test it regularly.”

For more information about Home Fire Safety Checks visit the Community Safety section of the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service website: www.bedsfire.com