Safety warning from firefighters after kitchen fires

fire

fire

0
Have your say

A safety warning has been issued by firefighters following emergency calls to kitchen fires over the weekend.

One fire was at a home in Downfield Way, Kempston on Saturday evening (August 29) at 5pm.

Fire crews discovered a small fire in the kitchen, which was already out when they arrived. They used positive pressure ventilation to clear smoke from the property.

The other kitchen fire was in Luton on Friday evening (August 28).

Bedfordshire Fire rescue Service community safety officer Andy Martin said: “Half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen - often because of distractions like phone calls or family. So whatever happens elsewhere in the house, always make sure you have one eye on the hob or oven.”

The Fire Kills campaign’s top tips for staying safe in the kitchen are:

>Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking. Take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.

>If a pan catches fire, don’t take any risks – Get Out, Stay Out, and Call 999.

>Double check the hob is off when you’ve finished cooking.

>Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

>Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.

>Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.

>Take care with electrics - leads and appliances away from water and place grills and away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

>Keep your equipment clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

>Don’t cook after drinking alcohol.

>Hot oil can catch fire easily - be careful that it doesn’t overheat.

>Never throw water on a chip pan fire.

>In the event of a fire, have an escape plan in place.

>Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.

For more information on fire safety visit www.facebook.com/firekills or the cooking safety page of the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue website by clicking here