Takeaway fined after food poisoning

editorial image

A takeaway in Kempston has been fined £2,250 after being found guilty of four food hygiene charges. The Ackee Tree, in Bedford Road, was investigated by Bedford Borough Councils’ environmental health team in July 2011 following a food poisoning outbreak.

Mr Anthony Riley, 53, of Ackworth Crescent, Luton, appeared at Bedford Magistrates Court on November 6, and was found guilty of selling food which was unfit for human consumption after a goat curry had been eaten by three members of the public. The food was later found to be contaminated with high levels of the food poisoning organism Clostridium Perfringens.

The restaurant owner was also prosecuted for other serious food hygiene offences including high risk foods being stored in the refrigerator above the legal temperature requirement, poor standards of cleanliness, unsafe hygiene procedures and poor repairs carried out to the premises.

Mr Riley was fined £2,250, ordered to pay costs of £2,250 and a victim surcharge of £15.