The Royal Anglian Regiment has been presented with new Colours as it celebrates its Golden Jubilee.
Some 5,000 soldiers, veterans and their families gathered at the Imperial War Museum Duxford on Sunday, August 31, to mark the anniversary and the arrival of the new Colours, which were presented by the regiment’s Colonel-in-Chief His Royal Highness The Duke of Gloucester.
The Royal Anglian Regiment was formed in 1964 from the county regiments of East Anglia and the East Midlands, carrying on the proud traditions of units whose history that can be traced back to 1685.
The Colours, originally carried as a rallying point on the battlefield, carry the regiment’s battle honours and represent its loyalty to the Crown, devotion to duty and honour. New Colours are only presented every generation with the previous Colours presented in 1995 at Duxford, where the Royal Anglian Regimental Museum and the Regimental Memorial have since been established.
More than 200 soldiers from the regiment’s three battalions, two regular and one reserve, were on parade while their antecedent Colours were marched off for the final time. A service of consecration for the new Colours then took place, led by the Chaplain-General to the Army the Reverend Jonathan Woodhouse, assisted by the regimental padres.