Members of the Kempston Hammers Sports and Social club are celebrating the opening of their new pavilion.
The multi-purpose facility next to the bowling green includes a community hall, kitchen, toilets and a patio area with veranda and seating with full disabled access.
The pavilion was opened by the chairman of the Kempston Hammers Sports and Social Club, David Thompson, following a speech by the president of the bowls section, Helen Lovell welcoming everyone.
The 70 members and guests who attended then enjoyed an extensive ‘bring and share’ buffet in the new pavilion hall followed bowls matches.
The official opening marks the completion of a project started in 2008 to replace the previous pavilion, which dated back to 1948.
The club has funded this project as part of the ongoing upgrading of its facilities.
The demolition of the old pavilion and the construction of its replacement started in December last year and has taken more than five months.
The erection of the building and its fitting out has been carried out by volunteer members of the bowls section who have freely provided both their time and many varied skills necessary to complete the project.
The Kempston Hammers Bowls section runs men’s, women’s and mixed teams in local, county and national competitions as well as having an extensive list of friendly fixtures with clubs around Bedfordshire.
The club welcomes new members of all abilities from novice to seasoned competitors during the season which runs from April to September.
Anyone interested in bowling should contact either Dave Thompson on 01234 852674 or Janet Hirst on 01234 825228.