Italians say they have won a “small victory” after the Italian Embassy has agreed to keep a consulate service in Bedford open one day a week.
The Italian government decided to close the consulate service Sportello Consulare last month, and move the facility to London.
But the Italian community has since been fighting the decision, and this week was told that the service would re-open one day a week as a temporary measure.
Dr Luigi Reale, who has ben leading the campaign, said: “We have fought long and hard for our voices to be heard, the decision to re-open the Consulate Office, even for one day per week, is a victory for the community.”
The service will open tomorrow and then every Friday from 9am until noon and then 2pm until 4pm at the Italian Church of St Francesca Cabrini on Woburn Road in Bedford.
The campaign group will continue to lobby for the full service to re-open.
- VIDEO: Trainee assistance dogs say thank you
- Commuters’ anger over ‘runaway’ train incident
- Music when the Bedford lights go out from Pete Doherty
- You may have seen a grey squirrel, you may have seen a black squirrel – but both together?
- Attempted murder at the University of Bedfordshire - the story in full
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bedford
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 3 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North west