Three generations of one family were evacuated from their home on Monday after a blaze started in the roof.
The fire that went on until the early hours of Tuesday morning, started in the roof of a home in Westoning High Street at around 10.30pm.
Bedfordshire and Luton Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene. All members of the house were out of the property by the time firefighters had arrived.
Fire crews then evacuated residents of three nearby properties for fear the fire couldspread into their homes.
The fire service believe that the blaze which destroyed half of the property’s roof, started through an electrical fault and is not treating it as sus picious.
The quick-thinking family have been praised by firefighters for evacuating the house so quickly.
Station commander Mark Barter said: “It can be tempting to try and tackle a fire like this yourself.
“But to do so can place your life at risk. The family concerned did exactly the right thing and heeded the advice of our control operator by making sure that everyone got out of the building safely - and then stayed out.
Four fire crews from Toddington, Ampthill and Woburn were at the scene and firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the building to tackle the fire.
The blaze, which damaged half of the roof, was brought under control at 1.58am.
Charity British Red Cross also attended the scene.
Volunteer Andy Quince said: “In Westoning, we found four houses affected by fire and smoke had been evacuated. The children and had gone to stay with friends and family nearby so we offered our support to the couples.
“Some came on board our vehicle to keep warm, have a cup of tea and think through how to deal with the damage. Their main need at this time was a bit of comfort and reassurance.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bedford
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 26 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 29 mph
Wind direction: North